Location Advantage MOOC AMA (Ask Me Anything): Thursday Nov 30, 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm PT

11-22-2017 10:48 AM
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Event details:

• What: Join instructor John Shramek, course host Linda Peters and Education Manager Joseph J. Kerski, Ph.D., GISP for an AMA (Ask Me Anything) live on the GeoNet Community in the Location Advantage MOOC group. Ask the panelists anything about the topics covered in the course and any fun, interesting and thought-provoking questions. 
  • When: The AMA event will take place in this discussion thread (right on this page!) on Thursday November 30 , 2017 from 12:30pm-1:30pm PT.

How to participate:

• During the AMA, if you are logged into GeoNet (here's how to log in with your Esri credentials), you can post your questions in the comments below and the panelists will reply to your questions in the comments. 
  • You're welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA but we won't begin answering them until the AMA begins on November 30th at 12:30pm PT.

Reminder: AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines

• You will need a GeoNet account (uses Esri credentials) in order to ask questions. If you do not yet have Esri credentials, get them right away; it can take a day or two to process the request.
  • When asking questions and making comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles.
  • During the AMA this discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.

You'll know the AMA is live when you see a picture below with John, Linda and Joseph. From there on, remember to refresh the page to see our updates and new questions and comments. 

Thanks for joining us and we'll see you on Thursday!

12:30 pm - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

1:00 pm - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

1:25 pm - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Joseph or John?

1:30 pm - Overtime! We'll take your questions too during this bonus 10 minutes! 

1:40 pm  - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended but Joseph, Linda and John will continue to answer questions as schedules allow. Thanks for joining us and asking great questions! 

64 Replies
QuratulannTalpur
Occasional Contributor

hi !

I missed the live Q and A session but I am reading it now and find it so interesting and informative .

I have one question about teaching of GIS at school level.  Can I find the data regarding number of  schools /colleges  in USA where GIS  taught as a subject?

Thank you so much 

0 Kudos
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Great question! I'm going to ask that Joseph Kerski‌ respond.

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

That number as you may suspect is really difficult to get a handle on.

The AAG Guide to Programs in geography on www.aag.org will give you an idea of the number of universities where Geography is taught.  For GIS programs, see http://geotechcenter.org and the list of programs and map (ArcGIS Online!) there.

For K12 schools, aside from the Geospatial Semester in Virginia, the EAST program in Arkansas, and a handful of other K12 schools in the USA and globally, there are very few GIS courses per se.  GIS though *is* beginning to be more heavily used to teach STEM, history, geography, and so on, particularly with the advent of ArcGIS Online.   Here is one of my articles on this subject http://www.josephkerski.com/kerski_jog_implementation_effectiveness.pdf  

See this story map to get a sense of in the USA which schools have a ArcGIS Online organizational subscription - not necessarily using it but at least 1 step forward:
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c369c6d9bb6d4232bb3ad066cd5b9280

For years I served on the GENIP board and will try to find out where that project lives now online - it was a geography education in K12 national effort.  Here is an article that might help:
http://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:42d98ff7-42d2-418c-b14a-55f288f9d99c/State_of_Geography_Report....   There is a story map that gives an indication of the strength of geography state-by-state on Home   the GENIP page http://genip.weebly.com  as well. 

I hope this helps.  Great question.  We are all trying our best to nudge the needle forward on geography and GIS education globally with the help of many partners. 

--Joseph Kerski

0 Kudos
VladimirKogut
Emerging Contributor

Sorry for the delay with questioning/replaying.   I'm more interested in Esri GIS applications applied to utilities (water/electric/gas/etc.).   I have only one question: does any Esri GIS application (desktop or on-line) has dimension tool so that I can put needed dimension on a map?  (please reply to vgkogut@chesterwater.com as well)? 

0 Kudos
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Vladimir,

You can learn about Esri product support for dimensioning in these places. 

ArcGIS Pro: Dimensions in ArcGIS Pro—Dimensions | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcMap: The dimension construction tools—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Adena

0 Kudos
VladimirKogut
Emerging Contributor

I also want to mention that for me the most complex issue so far (was and still is) the existing project's files management (searching/renaming/modifying/deleting/etc.) as well as deploying those files both from ESRI and from  anywhere else.  Need to more time to learn, hope it has on-line help.   

And general impression from Esri's ArcGIS-Online Platform is very good.  Combining (as I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong) private and public clouds in one application with all typical ArcGIS tool involved seems very promising.  Thank you for the course! 

0 Kudos
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Vladimir,

Thanks for the input. Please note that The Location Advantage MOOC is not designed to teach you how to use software, but to introduce how spatial analysis can benefit a variety of business challenges. Esri and others provide instruction on how to use specific software. Esri training courses (some free, some fee, some online, some face to face) are listed here.

Adena

0 Kudos
VladimirKogut
Emerging Contributor

Thank you Adena,

"Esri training courses (some free, some fee, some online, some face to face) are listed here"  - "here" link is broken or incorrect.   Please repeat.

Also one more question:  Is it possible to create .mxd file in ArcGIS/ArcMap and then "transfer" it into ArcGIS-Online Web Map Application platform?   In other words is there a way to transform/publish .mxd file to ArcGIS On-line as Web Map application (if I'm not mistaken the other way around is possible)?   Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Vladimir,

Yes, you can publish a map in ArcMap, as a map service, a service definition file, a map package as a file, or a map package as a service. Click the File menu and go to Share As -> Map Package, and choose the option to upload it to the ArcGIS Online (or Portal) organization that you're logged into. You're also correct that you can choose in ArcGIS Online to open a map in ArcGIS Desktop.

As for the link, I'll let Adena repeat it, it may have been https://www.esri.com/training/  that she intended to share but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

John

VladimirKogut
Emerging Contributor

Thank you John!

0 Kudos