Select to view content in your preferred language

Earth Imagery at Work AMA (Ask Me Anything): Friday Oct 20, 10:30 am-11:30am PT

10-10-2017 11:59 AM
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Join Earth Imagery at Work instructors Kevin Butler and Emily Windahl, live here on the GeoNet Community for an AMA (Ask Me Anything). The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Friday October 20, 2017 from 10:30am-11:30am PT, and we invite you to ask Kevin and Emily questions about the course, about earth imagery data, Esri software, GIS or anything else that comes to mind. 

During the AMA, if you are logged in, you can post your questions in the comments below and Kevin and Emily will reply to your questions in comments. You're welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA but we won't begin answering them until the AMA begins on October 20 at 10:30am PT. 

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines

• When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles.
  • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies. 

You'll know the AMA is live when you see the picture below with Kevin and Emily. 

Thanks for joining us and we'll see you then!

10:30am - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

11:03am - We're halfway through. Great questions! Keep 'em coming! 

11:25am - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Kevin and Emily?

11:30am - Overtime! We'll take your questions too during this bonus 10 minutes! 

11:40am  - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended but Kevin and Emily will continue to answer questions as schedules allow. Thanks for joining us and asking great questions! 

Tags (3)
73 Replies
KevinButler
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, you want to use something like Esri's elevation services. I'm not sure what google uses under the hood for their elevation data. I think if you have an organizational account with Esri, then you have access to the elevation services. We used them in the agriculture exercise to find slope and aspect.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=58a541efc59545e6b7137f961d7de883 

0 Kudos
manojkamra
Deactivated User

Thanks, I mean vertical accuracy of imagery ( elevation w.r.t. msl or any datum) of Esri's elevation services .

0 Kudos
manojkamra
Deactivated User

Thanks , I got solution in the link you provided.

0 Kudos
JessieHooten
Deactivated User

One of the questions I keep getting from people about the InSAR data is how much of the deformation is real and not just vegetation or snow since I am working in Montana in the winter months. My answer is that the sample points I use pass the coherence threshold but I really don't know technically how well InSAR handles snow melt. I did use multispectral imagery to show them where farmland is so the data could be removed, but the snow is stumping me.

0 Kudos
KevinButler
Occasional Contributor

Ugh... radar is tough. I'm taking a MOOC now on it to get a better understanding of it...

Echoes in space | EO College 

In general, radar is going to tell you the day when snow turns to water, so you can figure out the date when that happens. It struggles to tell you how much melt there is though. 

JessieHooten
Deactivated User

@Kevin Butler, thanks for the link I am now registered and will take this class as well.

AbelAsoo
Deactivated User

I am also taking the  Echoes in Space course. I am in part 2 of section 2  (Radar Geometry)

0 Kudos
Tianjiao_Li
Deactivated User

Hi Kevin and Emily, thanks to all of you for organizing this great course. i have a background in hydrogeology and geotechnical engneering. is there any position in ERSI i can do? i'm thinking to take some python courses next year...

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tianjiao,

Thanks for joining today!

Here at Esri, we have a variety of opportunities available but it ultimately depends on what you want to do and what your long term goals look like. On a surface level, I'd recommend taking a look at positions within professional services, software products, technical support or business development. A quick rundown can be found below:

-Professional Services - Our internal consulting team working with customers on a variety of different projects. You could join and work on projects related to hydrology and geotechnical engineering. While this is not a guarantee it would be the best option given your background. PYTHON - Any programming experience is beneficial and I'd recommend looking into Python for roles within professional services.

- Software Products - This is more on the programming side of things where you would be working with the Esri platform. PYTHON - Programming skills in most cases important for these roles, again I'd recommend taking Python classes.

- Technical Support - Working with our customers supporting them with their problems. This is more of a GIS centered type role. PYTHON - Not as important but still a nice addition to any resume. Again I'd recommend for these positions

-Business Development - Working with customers within the hydrology or geotechnial industry to help then understand how our technology can help their organization. PYTHON - Not necessary for this role.

You can find the different positions listed here (Esri Job Search)

I hope this helps!

Nick

0 Kudos
KevinButler
Occasional Contributor

Hey Tianjiao,

Just to add on to Nick's response, I came in with a specific background kind of like you do. While Esri has a team that focuses on hydrology, we also have a lot of people that are hydrologists that don't work on that team. What I'm getting as is that you'll have a better shot if you can present yourself as someone who is comfortable working directly with hydro-related applications, or as someone who can take what they've learned from hydrology and apply it to other applications. 

Also, if you have an aptitude for python, you should look into javascript too. It seems like that's where a lot of stuff is moving towards nowadays. 

0 Kudos