Earth Imagery at Work AMA (Ask Me Anything): Friday Oct 20, 10:30 am-11:30am PT

10-10-2017 11:59 AM
Labels (1)
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Join Earth Imagery at Work instructors Kevin Butler and Emily Windahl, live here on the GeoNet Community for an AMA (Ask Me Anything). The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Friday October 20, 2017 from 10:30am-11:30am PT, and we invite you to ask Kevin and Emily questions about the course, about earth imagery data, Esri software, GIS or anything else that comes to mind. 

During the AMA, if you are logged in, you can post your questions in the comments below and Kevin and Emily will reply to your questions in comments. You're welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA but we won't begin answering them until the AMA begins on October 20 at 10:30am PT. 

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines

• When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles.
  • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies. 

You'll know the AMA is live when you see the picture below with Kevin and Emily. 

Thanks for joining us and we'll see you then!

10:30am - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

11:03am - We're halfway through. Great questions! Keep 'em coming! 

11:25am - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Kevin and Emily?

11:30am - Overtime! We'll take your questions too during this bonus 10 minutes! 

11:40am  - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended but Kevin and Emily will continue to answer questions as schedules allow. Thanks for joining us and asking great questions! 

Tags (3)
73 Replies
unashishmondal
New Contributor

Respected teachers, 

Thank you for your amazing course EARTH IMAGERY AT WORK. I learned a lot,  right now am doing masters in remote sensing and GIS from India. My question is I want to do research in 4D Earth climate hazard and population impact. 

I need guidance regarding to this so that I start my study in right direction. 

0 Kudos
KevinButler
New Contributor III

Hey Unashish--great question. Glad you liked the course... There's been a shift in climate research over the past few years. It used to be that you could just publish on how the climate is changing, but as the impacts become more apparent, it's kind of imperative that you tie it into how it affects vulnerable populations. Here's a good article I was reading the other day:
We Should Be Talking About the Effect of Climate Change on Cities 
My advice is to focus on something specific that you are interested in and passionate about. Maybe it's cities, or marginalized groups in India. In the same way that we think about GIS as just a tool, you can also think about climate research as a tool. Which is to say that if you're not thinking about how this stuff fits into a broader context, then your research won't be as effective.

0 Kudos
SabitMohammed
New Contributor

Dear Kevin Butler,

I am so much grateful to all instructors and co-workers who made this extra-ordinary and exiting MOOC course of Earth Imagery At Work. The course enhanced theoretical, and technical capacity as well as the scope I used to have while implementing application of GIS, Remote Sensing and Imagery as a common ground. Having said this, I would like to ask a question and that is the fact that the course was 6 weeks and spending 2- 3 hours a week, course duration is mentioned to be 1.5 hours in the certificate I have been awarded. Besides, I think it would be very clear for one who sees the certificate to know quickly what platforms we have been training; meaning it does not mention we have been trained using ArcGIS Online and Arc GIS Pro. So, what if the certificate is corrected accordingly? I can be corrected. Once again my appreciation to all of you for your excellent job! Sabit Mohammed.

KevinButler
New Contributor III

Hey Sabit,

Udemy is working on fixing the certificates. Just to clarify how this works, Esri makes the content, but Udemy issues the certificates. They were very receptive to all of the emails that they received from the students in the MOOC and hopefully will be sending out certificates that reflect the work that you all have done.

christianeckert
New Contributor

Hi Emily and Kevin,

thank you for the great course. As I came across your course I had just finished an internship in a remote sensing company. There I have worked with `ecognition´ so for me it was very interesting to see how Esri is doing the job =). Doing classification with Esri software is much simpler (in a good way) and therefore it makes these tools available to a greater community. I think the choice of topics was very well chosen. Thumbs up!

Now my question for the AMA-forum. I have worked as a student for Esri here in Germany. As I have very much liked it I want to continue my career by Esri after graduating. I am also a permanent resident of Australia and I would like to go there for at least 4 years and return to Europe afterwards. I have asked the HR- representative of Germany if Esri would be interested in someone gaining experience within different countries.  They are very supportive but as Esri Australia and Esri Germany are two different companies they are not sure how to help the best.  

So, I thought I could use the AMA to ask you if there is some international development program at Esri US?

Or maybe you just know someone I could write to in regard of my request.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Christian

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Christian,

Great question! We do not have a specific international development program here at Esri US. My suggestion is to reach out to Esri Australia directly and provide them with some context on your specific situation and then ask what they advise. Outside of that, my suggestion would be to apply for the Esri Student Assistantship Program (Esri Careers | Job Details ). This specific program is designed to bring students from around the world to our User Conference to help run the event as efficiently as possible. While there, you will be able to network with Esri professionals from not only the United States but also from our distributors worldwide. Here's a hint for your cover letter - touch on what you hope to get from the experience rather than your background.

Hope this helps!

Nick

unashishmondal
New Contributor

hi,

how can I get a job in Esri, after my masters in remote sensing, am from India?what is the eligibility criteria and what should I do from right now to get placed in Esri.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Unashish!

If you are interested in careers here in the United States, you will need to go through our application process which can be found here (Esri Job Search). What I normally recommend is trying to find 2-3 full time opportunities that really appeal to you and align with your long term goals. Once you find them, check for the skills that we are looking for and then try to build those up. I personally love to see personal projects or online learning on resumes. If you're interested in remote sensing opportunities you could do a project where you analyze land cover based on personal interests such as trying to find athletic fields by LiDAR or you could work on creating a tool that makes specific workflows easier.

If you're wanting to stay local, my suggestion would be to reach out to Esri India (Esri India | Your partner in GIS ) to find out what they specifically look for.

Hope this helps!!

Nick

0 Kudos
MonikaCała
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a problem in exercise 1 from section 6, the layer which I have to add " Joplin, MO Post Tornado Imagery .25ft" is unavailable. When I click Add to add layer to my map, on the screen show me only message that: Unable to establish a secure connection with the layer. Joplin Layers, MO Post Tornado Imagery .25ft can not be added to the map. The same message and problem with layer Tornado Path and Damaged Buildings

I can't finish this exercise without this. Please give me some advice.

0 Kudos