best free esri training to take

10-03-2020 09:44 AM
TomChappell
New Contributor

I have been away from GIS and Esri for awhile. I was taking care of my sick parent. I am presently working outside of GIS field and want to get back into it. What are the best FREE Esri training courses to take to help me relearn ArcMAP 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.6? I cannot afford Instructor lead courses on my very limited income. I will also need to learn Python and how that works with Esri so what Esri Python courses would be beneficial? I know UDEMY is available and would also utilize that when I can find extra cash. I noticed there were  hundreds of courses at Esri so I paid for the 1 year personal license and have Pro,  Desktop, and Online but not Enterprise. I was at an Electric Utility company so I was thinking I would like to get into that area or 911 but would not object to other areas. I worked in flood modeling for FEMA maps and used mainly desktop before. I am open to ideas from others if they know of other areas that are in greater need as I am draining funds and will not be able to do this indefinitely.Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom, as you noted, there are lots of options to learn ArcGIS Pro, Python, and many other topics. A good place to start might be these two free web courses: ArcGIS Pro Basics and Python for Everyone. MOOCs are really popular and we have two upcoming: Spatial Data Science: The New Frontier in Analytics and Cartography. Both provide free access to ArcGIS Pro and are highly rated. I did a quick search for "utilities" and these resources came up: https://www.esri.com/training/Bookmark/PKGDMYL6U. Because you have an ArcGIS for Personal Use subscription, you have unlimited access to all e-Learning in the Training catalog. I hope you use that access since you've already paid for it. We add new resources each week so be on the lookout for topics that interest you! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

+1 for Cartography and other MOOCs as a way to get hands on with learning ArcGIS Pro. 
The online courses are great as well.

If you're looking at learning the Utility Network extension, it's designed to be used as service-based architecture for use across the ArcGIS Platform. But you can learn and work with it most of the functionality offline in a file geodatabase
Get started with the ArcGIS Utility Network | Learn ArcGIS  

TomChappell
New Contributor

For the Spatial Data Science: The New Frontier in Analytics class how important is it to have hyperthreading? My i5-9600k has 6 cores but no hyperthreading. I have 32gb of memory, GeForce GTX1080 with 8GB, and I am running Windows 10 Pro with latest versions of all my software and updates.

Is there a particular time of day for the class time or do we download homework and submit with no person to person class time or video chat?

I have taken these so far:

Getting Started with Spatial Analysis, Getting Started with Mapping and Visualization, Getting Started with Data Management, Get Started with ArcGIS Pro, GIS Basics, Basics of Geographic Coordinate Systems, ArcGIS Pro Basics, ArcGIS Online Basics, Querying Data Using ArcGIS Pro, Managing Map Layers in ArcGIS Pro, Also Get Started With ArcMAP Tutorial

I plan on more ArcGIS Pro classes and then also ArcMAP (Desktop) classes. It seems like some of the training for desktop version is for the older version (10.6.1) instead of 10.8.1. Do you know is it ok to take that class with the more up to date software?

Thank You for your advice.

Tom

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For 

• Best to complete the course within the weeks-long course time frame while access to the software and forums is available.

It seems like some of the training for desktop version is for the older version (10.6.1) instead of 10.8.1

This is fine:

• Use ArcGIS Pro where possible as your default Desktop software. This will be the future desktop software and brings in a range of new functionality/fixes. ArcMap will eventually be retired (in 5+ years)
  • Learning ArcMap is fine. It's very likely you'll need to work with ArcMap + .mxd files while users migrate to ArcGIS Pro
  • There is not much functional difference in ArcMap 10.6.1 to 10.8.1. You'll see greater d
  • Most lessons in ArcMap should translate well enough to ArcGIS Pro, especially GIS essentials. The larger differences will be UI, web-gis, new functionality introduced in ArcGIS Pro, map/project document styles.

Congratulations on all the courses you've completed so far. One suggestion at this stage might be to try and apply this learning. I had some great success building a portfolio of offline maps and a Story Map from a personal use licence. 

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom, for the Spatial Data Science MOOC, you need to use a machine that meets the ArcGIS Pro system requirements and a high-speed Internet connection is definitely recommended. Some of the exercise data is a bit big, though we reduce file sizes as much as possible. There are no formal class times. After the course opens on October 28, you simply access the course when it's convenient for you. A new section opens each Wednesday while the course is in session. The course forums are where attendees post questions and their discussion responses. We encourage attendees to help one another with questions, but our team monitors the forums and makes sure all questions are answered.

I'm glad to see you're taking advantage of your e-Learning access!  Chris is correct that the differences between ArcMap 10.6 and 10.8 are minimal. 

DavinWalker2
Esri Contributor

Hi Tom,

I would also recommend doing some training on ArcGIS Enterprise. There are free courses available through the ESRI Training catalog. ArcGIS Enterprise and web based GIS is becoming a big part of many organizations GIS business practices. 

Welcome back into the GIS field.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Outside of Esri Training Services, there's another Esri Department that develops free training for the Learn ArcGIS website referenced here.  The Lesson Gallery has training broken down by software product - ArcGIS Pro - for example, industry and more.  Enjoy!

0 Kudos
LoreDeAstra1
New Contributor

Hello Tom - Welcome Back! No worries. After you click this link, https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/ log in. 

There are 385 free Esri courses in the Catalog, when you check free in the box. Have fun! Let us know your exciting adventures.