Leica Zeno 20 GPS not compatible with TLS 1.2 update

04-19-2019 01:43 PM
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

The Leica Zeno 20 GPS can no longer run Collector app following the TLS 1.2 update. Esri has been working closely with Leica for the past several months, but as far as I know there is no timeline yet for a solution. I am hoping to use this discussion to connect with other Zeno 20 users who are experiencing this and to pool our knowledge and the latest updates here.

47 Replies
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

I reached out to Leica to inquire about Zeno Mobile licenses. They have kindly offered to make temporary licenses available to any of their Zeno 20 customers as a stop gap measure until we are able to access Collector app again. Jason Hooten says to contact him at jason.hooten@leica-geosystems.com to request free temporary licenses.

-Veronica

0 Kudos
MichaelYoung
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your patience while we worked with the Leica team to provide a summary of work-arounds for issues with Zeno Collector mobile applications accessing external services such as ArcGIS Online (which now enforce secure TLS 1.2 only).

• Customer Managed Proxy - If your organization has a proxy for HTTP/S traffic, simply go to the Zeno wireless settings and enter your proxy configuration information.  By passing through a TLS 1.2 proxy, your connectivity to ArcGIS Online will be via TLS 1.2 and it will work.  If your organization’s proxy public certificate is not already on the Zeno device, you will need to add it as a trusted certificate.  This configuration has been successfully tested using a Squid proxy and other TLS 1.2 proxies will work in a similar capacity.  Because proxies can be dangerous if not locked down appropriately, we are not distributing generalized proxy setup guidance, if you are going to use a proxy we strongly recommend having your organizations information system team fully manage it.
  • ArcGIS Enterprise - If your organization already has ArcGIS Enterprise available, you can collect and store your information there instead of ArcGIS Online for now.  While the current release of ArcGIS Enterprise only enables TLS 1.2 by default, you can configure your ArcGIS Enterprise system to utilize TLS 1.0 to support older Zeno Collector devices. (See Travis’s blog comment for more).
  • Leica Managed Proxy – Esri has provided documentation to Leica for configuring a proxy to support relaying HTTPS traffics to ArcGIS Online via TLS 1.2. Leica is looking at establishing such a proxy for customers who do not have their own proxy system. If all goes well, this is something that could be made available in less then a week (more info to come from Leica on status).
  • External Receiver – As of 4/26/19 Leica has a new Zeno Connect version available that will enable this option. Customers can install Collector on current technology phones and then utilize the Zeno device to obtain cm level GPS readings.  To do this the user would first configure the Zeno device to be able to share readings via Bluetooth and then on the phone with Collector, choose the add receiver option and select the Zeno device (Reach out to Jason Hooten at Leica as mentioned by Alex's blog comment).
  • Zeno Mobile – Temporary licenses may be made available for this by Leica for your organization. If desired, please reach out to them directly for this as an interim workaround (See Veronica’s blog comment for more).
  • Long-term Leica Patch – Leica is looking into other potential options for allowing TLS 1.2 communication by default for the device which could address mobile applications failing to communicate with external services requiring TLS 1.2 (A timeframe has not been set for such a patch at this time).

- Michael

AlexanderFischer
New Contributor III

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this matter. As outlined from Michael, we are working together with Esri on several options in order to fix that issue.

One option is now ready.

From now on, Zeno 20 can be used as external sensor. NMEA data is streamed through Bluetooth to smartphones/tablets.

If this option is helpful for you, please get in touch with Jason Hooten and he will provide you the new Zeno Connect app for your Zeno 20.

In addition we continue working on further options and we will be able to share more information soon.

- Alex

Leica Geosystems

JoeRobinson
New Contributor II

Alex,

I am having trouble getting in touch with Jason today, as I'm sure he is staying very busy... I did let some guys here know that I may have a solution for a temp fix via NMEA Bluetooth. Could you possibly send me the new Zeno connect app? When I checked on Leica myWorld it shows the last update to connect as being 11/15/2018 which I assume does not have the fix for proper NMEA output. Any help would be much appreciated, we are trying to get GPS on some key projects this week and are currently unable to do so.

-Joe

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Tried the Leica proxy solution but I still get the same Unable to login error from Collector. Has anyone gotten this working? If so, were there any tricks beyond what's in the document? I'm in the US where there are no 3G providers anymore so I'm running on Verizon via a Jetpack mifi.

* Update: Got it working. Data enabled and data roaming have to be toggled on in the mobile network settings for it to work.

0 Kudos
AlexanderFischer
New Contributor III

Hi Scott, 

Could you please get in touch with my colleagues from support? 

It's zeno.support@leica-geosystems.com

The proxy solution is now officially rolled out and tested. First customers are using it successfully already. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

Our Zeno 20 is running Collector again. I use an AT&T hotspot and our organization's wi-fi. The only glitch I had was that Collector wasn't able to use the location from Zeno Connect right away. I switched to the default location profile and then back to my custom location profile and that seems to have refreshed it.

0 Kudos
AlexanderFischer
New Contributor III

In addition to the Zeno 20 NMEA output we have recently developed, the proxy solution is now implemented and successfully tested.
In order to enable Collector for ArcGIS functionality on a Zeno 20 again, a few settings have to be applied on the Zeno. 

A step-by-step document can be obtained from your local Leica Geosystems sales rep. 

For further technical questions, please contact our support (zeno.support@leica-geosystems.com).

- Alex

Leica Geosystems

0 Kudos
GeneSipes1
New Contributor III

We used a document titled "How to fix Esri Collector TLS 1.2 issue on Leica Zeno 20 using Proxy Server method" provided to us by our local Leica rep. We followed the document and are now able to log into Collector for ArcGIS, but our data does not draw or render. The data in question is from an ArcGIS (10.4.1) server on premises, that we publish to. To test whether this has anything to do with our server, we opened up an AGOL map that uses data published to ESRI's cloud (hosted services) and the data DOES render and display. We would like to continue using the services on our ArcGIS server, as it fits into our workflow much better. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? 

Would it matter if the data is published from ArcMap versus Pro?

Does our server need a patch? Or does it matter what port on the server we are using?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

Just as an FYI, I have loaded an ArcGIS Server REST service(running Server 10.5), published with ArcMap and it is rendering alright.  The only difference I have from your setup is that we used a local setup of Portal to connect our Leica Zeno 20.  We did not use the proxy server method as those instructions came after it was advised that a local setup of Portal on our ArcGIS Enterprise deployment could be used as a workaround.  Granted we already had the licensing for Portal and are using it at minimal capacity just for this purpose right now and will likely need more than this 'workaround'.

0 Kudos