Leica Zeno 20 GPS not compatible with TLS 1.2 update

04-19-2019 01:43 PM
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

The Leica Zeno 20 GPS can no longer run Collector app following the TLS 1.2 update. Esri has been working closely with Leica for the past several months, but as far as I know there is no timeline yet for a solution. I am hoping to use this discussion to connect with other Zeno 20 users who are experiencing this and to pool our knowledge and the latest updates here.

47 Replies
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Here's what I've gotten so far. Collector on Zeno 20 is officially broken because of the deprecation of TLS 1.0 and Leica's inability to update the OS because it is an open-source android fork of version 4.2. They are telling me that the ARM processor can't support an update from version 4.2. I can't find any evidence anywhere on the internet to confirm or deny that claim. Leica was looking for help from ESRI to fix it. That hasn't happened yet but Leica indicated they aren't done working with them on a fix. In a document published by ESRI about the TLS issue, they alluded to having a proxy server setup that could be configured to allow TLS 1.0 to still work. Unfortunately, they offered no instructions on how this can be done or even what specifically would or could be proxied. I don't think an entire AGO organizational account could be proxied by someone who doesn't own the domain. If you run Portal, a custom configured proxy might be an option. The whole proxy idea seems far fetched for those whose content and services are hosted on AGO and I honestly don't understand what they are talking about when suggesting this as a solution to fix Collector on the Zeno. The ESRI document Leica provided as a "solution" offers some general info about TLS but no documented path forward toward a workaround. If bought after 2015, the Zeno 20 is an extremely disappointing product. First, it came with a 3G modem that couldn't be activated because 3G is all but gone. As a non-google android fork, app selection is via Amazon Store, which has little to offer for geospatial apps. Now Collector does not work either. Leica indicates they will work on finding a fix for Collector, but it won't likely be easy or quick. There are some other gps collection apps out there that might've worked at least temporarily if the google store/services were available. The only way I can find to to make these work is with the added expense of an external Mifi and Zeno Mobile software. It's a shame because the antenna is quite good as is the construction of the unit. We got our Zeno 20 thinking we'd run it without a Mifi and with Collector (as advertised) but we cannot. The product is under warranty but we've gotten no response on whether it can be returned or exchanged for something that actually works. 

0 Kudos
JoeRobinson
New Contributor II

We are having the same issues... purchased 8 of the Zeno 20 units over the past 4 years for field crews. We use Collector on all of the units (as Leica advertised) and it has worked for us up until last week. When I contacted Leica Support, I was told that their browser does not support the TLS 1.2 update and they would have to rewrite the software to be compliant which would take 2 to 3 months. They were hoping that ESRI could provide a proxy to get people up and going for now until they have a proper fix. I'm not quite sure how that would work either, but that is what I was told. I have been trying to add the Zeno to Collector on my android phone as my "Location Provider" via bluetooth and just use the corrected solution from the Zeno. I went into the GPS settings on the Zeno and set it to write NMEA sentences to the log file but I cannot get Collector to recognize the unit as a Location Provider so I am either missing something here or it cannot be done. If anyone has any ideas on this type of setup please let me know...Trying to find some use for the 8 paper weights that now lie on my desk

0 Kudos
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

This phone-receiving-GPS 'workaround' got me to thinking.  I have been trying to connect the Zeno antenna to my phone now for a little while and am unable but will continue to try.  Since you seem to have it connected, did you enable 'mock locations' and set the Zeno Connect application on your phone as the mock locations app?  When I was testing another GPS antenna, you needed to enable mock locations (it is in settings in developers options, which you would need to enable) and select the Zeno Connect application.

0 Kudos
JoeRobinson
New Contributor II

I will try that now. You have to make sure that when you turn on the bluetooth on the Zeno, that it is visible to other devices. Once you toggle bluetooth on you can slide the notification bar down from the top and there is an option to make the Zeno visible to other devices. Then it can be found and paired with the phone. Not sure if this is the issue that you are having, but I ran up against this when trying to pair the 2 together.

0 Kudos
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

Same here.  I've got 3 clients running 9 of these and they have all been reduced to paper weights.  Even if we went with a workaround of using ZenoMobile to collect, which would be a terrible workaround for this, we still would not be able to without purchasing the ZenoMobile software as we only purchased ZenoConnect to use with the ESRI Collector application.

As of now our reseller has been unable to even call me back or provide an update.  I do have a technical contact that I work with at ESRI and he was only able to acknowledge the problem after doing some research.  He told me he would let me know if there were any updates.

So now I have 3 unhappy(that's to put it lightly) clients.  They are using iPads to connect to their data and continue to collect inspection and other types of tabular data but cannot GPS anything with the centimeter accuracy they desire.

Help!

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

In the short term you could run another app like Next-GIS  http://nextgis.com/nextgis-mobile/ but it'll take some setup. I tried Open Data Kit and that installed but didn't work for lack of having google services. It really seems like Leica should at least offer temporary Zeno Mobile licenses to those who have no working solution at all.(Update: Now they have offered temporary Zeno Mobile licenses. Good job, Jason Hooten)

VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

For reference I think this is the Esri publication that alludes to the web security gateway proxy work-around:  ArcGIS Platform SSL/TLS Support and Configuration Briefing (pg. 6). I'm discussing this with an Esri analyst to see if it is practical to set up at our small organization.

Veronica

0 Kudos
PatrickSendera
New Contributor

Same issue here.  We have 8 of these units that have been rendered useless.  Not only field collection has come to a screeching halt but any office editing through our app will come to a crawl as well.

0 Kudos
Travis_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I am the Esri analyst working with Veronica and just wanted to drop in to share a bit of our discussion to a larger audience of Leica users.

From my understanding, it seems that the units are no longer able to login to ArcGIS Online after the TLS 1.2 update. However, Collector itself does have other options. For example, users using Collector to log in to Portal for ArcGIS (as part of an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment) should not be affected as the connection is now between the GPS unit and your Portal for ArcGIS Deployment as opposed to a connection between the unit and ArcGIS Online.

Choosing between ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/10.6/administer/windows/choosing-between-an-arcgis-online-su...

Portal for ArcGIS (as part of an ArcGIS Enterprise Deployment) understandably does require more active maintenance as opposed to ArcGIS Online but the option is there as a workaround for the existing issues connecting to ArcGIS Online. We also offer Esri Managed Cloud Services should you want to avoid actively managing the environment within your organization. Esri also provides Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) within the AWS Marketplace which would allow you to setup an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment as well.

Esri Managed Cloud Services

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/services/managed-cloud

Esri and AWS

https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/global-solution-providers/esri/

Base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment

http://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/get-started/latest/windows/base-arcgis-enterprise-deployment.htm

I would recommend that customers who are experiencing these issues should reach out to their Account Manager here at Esri to discuss the issues you are experiencing as well as potential solutions we can offer which may or may not be one of the ones listed above (licenses, onsite engagements from Esri, etc). A proxy may also be a solution, but that would be more of a conversation to be had with our consultation services here at Esri and/or a customer's IT department as to the feasibility of a proxy. 

Thanks!

Travis