Can we use desktop 10.4 or later for our utility management

Jump to solution
03-01-2017 06:04 AM
MarkYerington
Occasional Contributor III

We are having troubles with inconsistencies since rolling up to Windows 10 on new computers.  

In reading the following article we are under the impression that we have to stay at desktop 10.2.1 to be fully supported for geometric network functionality.

Update on ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 for Utility and Telecom Users 

Are we reading this correctly or can we update our custom tools and desktop to the latest versions of desktop so hopefully some of our windows 10 computers stop having problems with desktop.  This is a limiting factor as most new PC's are coming with windows 10 and desktop 10.2.1 does not state that it is a supported platform.

FAQ: Is Windows 10 certified with Esri's ArcGIS products? 

We have a lot of custom tools for telecom that are still compiled with 10.2, and we are just wondering if these can be compiled with a later version and be fully supported as functional with ESRI?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Mark,

Probably best to break this into two questions:

Q 1:  What version should we stay on for the Geometric Network

Q 2:  Can we build tools/add ins for multiple versions.

A 1:  It is recommended that user stay on 10.2.1 only for their desktop editing if they use the Geometric Network.  The other option is to stay current with every release.  Any bug fixes/improvements are shared in a 10.2.1 utility patch and also applied to the next release of ArcGIS.  So if your organization has the ability to upgrade ArcGIS with every release, you do not have to stay on 10.2.1

A2:  Answered above, but best to compile on the lowest version you need to support.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SSMIC3038

Way to go ESRI, 2 weeks and haven't answered this guys question on version support???

Maybe trying contacting your regional sales office/rep, MAYBE they'll know, but I'd even be suspicious of that.

0 Kudos
MarkYerington

That would be my next step is to contact the account rep, but sometimes it is easier to ask on here.  The account rep will just have to contact a utility expert and I thought some may be watching on here to answer the simple question of can custom tools be compiled with the newer versions of ArcGIS desktop and have full geometric network functionality supported.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Mark,

We always compile our tools on 10.1 so they are forward compatible.  I keep a VM around for just this reason.  I like to compile on the oldest support version to ensure that I am not using a method only available in newer versions.  I have not tested compiling say on 10.5 with the add in referencing 10.2.1.  It should work, just make sure the references are set to not require a version.  

MarkYerington

Michael

Thank you for this!  So we should be able to upgrade our installation of our desktop version to the latest version as everything that is incorporated in 10.1 between 10.5 should be incorporated.  We were told we couldn't upgrade as that was the last supported release.  But from what I am reading from you it should be forward compatible which makes sense to me.  We will discuss with our developer. Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Mark,

Probably best to break this into two questions:

Q 1:  What version should we stay on for the Geometric Network

Q 2:  Can we build tools/add ins for multiple versions.

A 1:  It is recommended that user stay on 10.2.1 only for their desktop editing if they use the Geometric Network.  The other option is to stay current with every release.  Any bug fixes/improvements are shared in a 10.2.1 utility patch and also applied to the next release of ArcGIS.  So if your organization has the ability to upgrade ArcGIS with every release, you do not have to stay on 10.2.1

A2:  Answered above, but best to compile on the lowest version you need to support.

Hope this helps.

MarkYerington

That is exactly what I needed.

Thanks

Mark Yerington, GISP

MAGIC GIS Systems Analyst

3205 CEDAR ST | MUSCATINE, IA 52761

PH: 563.262.3316 | CELL: 563.260.4525

0 Kudos