Single Line Diagram

Jump to solution
05-30-2024 10:26 AM
Labels (1)
HETAYLORsanteecoopercomTaylor
New Contributor II

A long time ago I saw a demo of an ESRI extension called Network Analyst (I believe). We are not on the Utility Network and are on ArcGIS 10.6. Being forced to go to Arc GIS Pro. anyway...

We have a model of our GIS system that is geographically correct. I am trying to find an easy way to make a simplified single line diagram of our system. Right now another department uses CAD to create, update, and maintain simplified single line diagrams. The lady that does this is about to retire and I want GIS to make these files. This way we update one model vs. having two separate models. 

Also, our ECC (energy control center) has an EMS system (that we aren't allowed to view) that shows the conditions or states of breakers and switches on our systems. (Open / Closed) and also shows the status of lines. I was thinking if I could make a simplified single line model of our transmission system I could try and create our own EMS system to show the status of our system.

does anyone make Simplified Single Line Diagrms from GIS? if so, can you share your method?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @LydiaStekkinger,

I'm sure that if you implement a utility network and trace network, you'll be able to create the single line diagram you expect. Indeed, Network Diagrams is an integrated component of Utility Network and Trace Network released with ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise that allows you to produce diagrams. Like you were used to with schematic diagrams created using ArcGIS Schematics extension, you will have one source of truth. Moreover, your diagrams and network will share the same dataset.

Here are samples of single line diagrams created with a utility network.

SingleLineDiagramSamples.png

To know more about network diagrams, you can have a look to our resource page: Learn Network Diagrams.

Regards

Anne-Yvonne

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Whereaboutz
New Contributor II

Are you wanting to generate these diagrams in ArcMap or ArcPro?  In the world of ArcMap, you should be looking at the ArcGIS Schematics extension.  If you don't already have it, I'm not sure that you can license it at this point.  ArcGIS Pro with an Advanced Editor license implements this using Network diagrams—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation .  Note that this documentation can be confusing because it is a subset of what is available in ArcGIS Utility Networks, however, the basic functionality does not require UN.

There are a few steps that include creating a trace network, creating a network diagram, then applying an  diagram layout where your geographic lines are converted to straight lines based on rules.  

I realize that's very high level, but hopefully it gets you pointed in a helpful direction.

JeffreyGrussing-GRE
New Contributor II

We have a oneline of our system that was generate using ArcGIS Schematics and plan to move this to UN once we have it implemented. The nice thing about using schematics is that its tied to your GIS data so there is one source of truth. We had ours in AutoCAD previously and it was difficult keeping GIS and the oneline in sync.

LydiaStekkinger
New Contributor III

We are currently implementing Utility Network, but are also looking for ways to generate TSO single line diagrams. The current solution does not have the specifications that we need, I believe this also has to do with straight and perpendicular lines in a grid form, like our current SLDs are in AutoCAD.

AnneYvonneBlin
Esri Contributor

Hi @LydiaStekkinger,

I'm sure that if you implement a utility network and trace network, you'll be able to create the single line diagram you expect. Indeed, Network Diagrams is an integrated component of Utility Network and Trace Network released with ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise that allows you to produce diagrams. Like you were used to with schematic diagrams created using ArcGIS Schematics extension, you will have one source of truth. Moreover, your diagrams and network will share the same dataset.

Here are samples of single line diagrams created with a utility network.

SingleLineDiagramSamples.png

To know more about network diagrams, you can have a look to our resource page: Learn Network Diagrams.

Regards

Anne-Yvonne