Outlining my states

Jump to solution
02-01-2016 12:06 PM
ChaseBergklint
New Contributor II

I am creating a map layer of my three states:Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky with the zip code polygons around them. However, there is not really a clear outline and because of the shape of the states (Kentucky and Indiana are not exactly pretty polygon-shapes). I could edit them, but I feel like that would be hard to follow the outline of Kentucky and Indiana, especially with them not being exactly pretty shapes. Besides editing I have tried playing with in in the selection options, to no avail. Can someone help me make the states outlines look clean, clear and crisp?

Thanks,

Chase

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

why not make a separate file with just the state boundaries in polyline form and use it over top of the other file.  If not readily available, you could dissolve all the internal geometry export from polygon to polyline.  Symbolize that layer with a more pronounced line width and/or color

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Would you be able to zip and upload the shapefile/feature class you are working with?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes... before the aforementioned states feel slighted...

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just an idea - if you have an attribute that differentiates the polygons by the State, you can run the Dissolve (Data Management) tool using that field to create a new feature class that shows the states.

Dissolve (Data Management)

Chris Donohue, GISP

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you elaborate on what "not exactly pretty polygon-shapes" means? Are they too detailed, or unpleasing shapes in some way?

Also, you list these states and then say you want zip codes around them? Does that mean "a few zip codes within states", "all the zip codes within the states", or literally, "the zip codes around (outside) these states"?

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Maybe a simple screenshot that shows what you mean a why it is "not pretty", would help a lot...

0 Kudos
ChaseBergklint
New Contributor II

surroundingstates.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the zip codes and the states outline. As you can see it is really hard to delineate the boundaries between the states.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

why not make a separate file with just the state boundaries in polyline form and use it over top of the other file.  If not readily available, you could dissolve all the internal geometry export from polygon to polyline.  Symbolize that layer with a more pronounced line width and/or color

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Are the first 2 or 3 digits unique to each state?  If so, you could select each group of zip codes separately and dissolve them as you select them.

0 Kudos