The basics of ArcGIS Drone2Map for K12 school instruction

12-11-2023 10:07 AM
TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor
4 4 1,053

ArcGIS Drone2Map Standard enables users to easily process overlapping nadir images from drones to create accurate 2D orthomosaics, digital surface models (DSMs), and digital terrain models (DTMs). These outputs, referred to as orthomapping products, integrate seamlessly into ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise, or ArcGIS Pro and provide great value due to their timeliness, resolution, and accuracy.

As of December 2023, what drone software is in the ArcGIS School bundle at no cost to school instruction?

Basic K12 Workflow

• Plan and Capture data: Site Scan Flight LE
  • Download and Process: Drone2Map Standard
  • Advanced Processing: ArcGIS Pro
  • Share: Drone2Map >> ArcGIS Online as service layer or map

Begin your learning:

1. Make sure that you have a login (a publisher account) in your schools ArcGIS Online organization. Your account needs to have a Publisher role or higher and must have permission to use the Drone2Map software.
  2. Download and install Drone2Map Standard.
  3. Take this “Getting started” class at Esri Academy. Your school ArcGIS Online credentials should allow you to enroll in the course at no cost.

This blog is intended to help get you started. Other links from Esri Academy or the Drone2Map Resource page are also available for advancing your learning.

4 Comments
alew222
New Contributor
Hello Tom,

Thanks for your update.
I have used this program extensively.

My issue is that ESRI is not making Drone2Map Advanced available at no cost
to Education accounts.

Even worse, Esri is not allowing schools to purchase more than one five
license bundles. This effectively puts 3D mapping out of reach of most
schools.

It would really be helpful if you could take some action to correct this
concern.

Thanks much,

Al Lew

TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for your feedback Al.  I've already shared your note with the team.  We will be discussing.  Best.  Tom

ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

Thanks for this post. I'm currently pretty frustrated since the first Drone2Map tutorial requires advanced license which isn't included. And now I'm trying to do the Wrightsville Beach Getting started training and the versions don't match. I downloaded the installer today (12/15) from MyESRI and updated it locally to 2023.2.1 and the training materials do not match my version. First, is there a way to get version 2.3 so that I may actually be able to follow along? and Second, if the tutorial is so highly version dependent, I would suggest adding language at the top warning users to check their software version. Thanks for any help, Beth

TomBaker
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Elizabeth.  We have asked your Esri account manager to contact you directly to help get things figured out.  If you don't hear from someone, feel free to email highered@esri.com.  Thanks and sorry about the trouble.  -Tom