Select to view content in your preferred language

Is this the Python Forums?

Jump to solution
07-08-2014 05:59 AM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is this GIS Developers section where I'd ask/post about Python related items?

I have to admit I am entirely lost on the this new format as it is such a drastic departure from any logical approach to an forum I've been a part of.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thanks Christina!

But can I ask: why should I need to review documents and training guides to figure out a discussion forum?

RandyKreuziger
Regular Contributor

James, I couldn't agree more!

TimSpivey
Occasional Contributor III

As for the Discussions Lobby - I have a 32" monitor here, and when I go to said Lobby, the entire browser window is taken up with cute icons, banners and clickables ... ok, scroll down to find some content. Kinda like putting all the advertisements on the front page of the newspaper, and the stuff you're looking for on page 2+.

Style apparently trumps content even here.

RandyKreuziger
Regular Contributor

Yes, way too much wasted space!  Even the emails sent out have wasted white space that makes it harder to see the meat of the message.  Maybe if we call complain next week at the conference Jack will get the message.

0 Kudos
TimSpivey

The discussion "Polar Bears and Their Use as GPS Tools" has been deleted .... it was just plain silly.

0 Kudos
EleanorHaire
Esri Contributor

Old Python forum content ended up under GIS Developers, tagged with Python in GeoNet - GIS Developers

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Elaeanor!

So IOW's, there is no logical "Python forum".  I have to search, filter, tag, content, blog rather than just go to a forum specific to python?

When I arrived to the new forum my eyes immediately looked for "Python".  Didn't yours?  Yes, I am a "GIS Developer" but I would expect a bit more granularity about what it is I am developing.

0 Kudos
TheoFaull

In my case, I'm going to give ESRI the benefit of the doubt and try to work out the new forums.

Problem is, this situation shouldn't happen in the first place! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't be so quick to label this place a "Forum".

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I fully agree with the sentiment in the posts. It is like they are trying to do something like stack overflow, but in doing so they have broken the old (working) system. I wish that they would at lest keep the old forum up for a time....