How to view field names of layer added from ArcGIS Server?

05-31-2017 01:05 PM
PamClark
New Contributor

Working in ArcMap/ArcGIS Desktop. Is it possible to view or get a list of field names for a layer that has been added from ArcGIS Server (Catalog -> GIS Server -> Add ArcGIS Server)? When the layer is added from a shapefile, I can right click on a layer and get its properties, then select the Fields tab and see a list of fields. There's no Fields tab on a layer added via ArcGIS Server. Is there a way to get that data?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are you needing to do this from ArcCatalog, or are you ok using the REST service in a browser?

You should be able to see this information there.  For example, one of my services

Layer: Game Management Subunits (1:4m-8m) (ID: 3) 

0 Kudos
PamClark
New Contributor

Preferable would be to see the fields within ArcMap/ArcGIS Desktop.The REST interface is a good idea if that's not possible. I'm trying to find out if ArcMap/Desktop gets the fields from the server along with the other layer data, or if I need to make a separate effort to get them. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you are the administrator, you should be able to add this information in the "Description"/Metadata tab in Catalog.  It should be able to be viewed by others then.   I'm not sure how easy this would be to automate, but the Metadata toolkit might have some things to try (I have not tried them yet).

https://community.esri.com/groups/metadata/blog/2017/05/30/arcgis-105-metadata-toolkit-released 

curtvprice

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Good thought, but I'm pretty sure the metadata toolkit is for operating on local datasets when editing data, ie editing local dataset metadata xml content.

0 Kudos