How to make script tool help use relative path?

Jump to solution
03-16-2015 11:04 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

All,

Having a really knotty problem and I was wondering if anyone could confirm if this is a bug in 10.3 or I'm not doing it right?

I have created a script tool and an associated CHM help file. In my script tool properties I have ticked on under the general tab Store relative path names. I know this is working as my script is in a sub-folder. I have organized my folder such that my CHM file is in a sub folder called Help (not unreasonable!) but when ever I click on the Tool help button on the tool script interface it opens up a blank window and then the item description page in my internet browser.

Capture.PNG

I have tried:

1. Placing the CHM file in the same folder as the tbx file
  2. syntax of \Help\myhelp.chm
  3. syntax of ..\Help\myhelp.chm
  4. syntax of .\myhelp.chm
  5. syntax of ..\SCTTool\Help\myhelp.chm

Nothing works! So is the path to the CHM file absolute and the relative path name is ignored? This is on my c:\ drive and when I double click on the CHM file it opens as expected.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

OK it's ArcMap being ArcMap...

Out of pure frustration I closed ArcMap down, opened it up, went to the tool and navigated to the help file (CHM), this time it just worked...

To test it was relative I copied the entire folder structure to a new location, deleted the old one and it opened when I clicked on Tool Help.

aahaahahahaha!!!!!

Note to self - 4 years later and I'm finding my own solutions!  - I used .\Help\myhelp.chm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you added the script to the toolbox, did you make it use relative paths?

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Yes. As mentioned above "...In my script tool properties I have ticked on under the general tab Store relative path names"

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

OK it's ArcMap being ArcMap...

Out of pure frustration I closed ArcMap down, opened it up, went to the tool and navigated to the help file (CHM), this time it just worked...

To test it was relative I copied the entire folder structure to a new location, deleted the old one and it opened when I clicked on Tool Help.

aahaahahahaha!!!!!

Note to self - 4 years later and I'm finding my own solutions!  - I used .\Help\myhelp.chm

0 Kudos