Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I import data from an Excel Spreadsheet into polygons in a map with popups?

06-04-2017 07:21 PM
JesseCollier
New Contributor

I have a spreadsheet that has columns such as Project Name, Country (USA & Canada), State, Province, and Project Description. 

I need to import this data using ARCGIS, and have it popup with the project name, description, etc. 

For example, if a data row had a railroad as the Project, USA as the Country, Colorado as the State, and R&R as the description, I need ARCGIS to pull that in, create a polygon around Colorado (color it in) and when the user clicks on Colorado, it popups with the project info. 

I also need to be able to search by layer for info. So a user can search by project name, state, etc. 

I have had limited success with the ARCGIS for Excel plugin, but I'm not sure how to create searchable features from it. 

I need the functionality like this: CCPPP :: Home Page . 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jesse, 

In Excel, have you got your data displayed as state polygons? If so, I'd recommend sharing that layer to your ArcGIS Online account. Then you can create an application that includes the searching functionality like the Web AppBuilder search widget.

Carmel

JesseCollier
New Contributor

Hi Carmel,

I've managed to create a map using the instructions you provided. 

Is it possible to have a project search section on the right as shown here: CCPPP :: Home Page ?

I tried looking through the templates and creating web apps but they don't have that functionality.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jesse, 

Similar functionality might be possible by using the Filter and Attribute Table widgets in Web AppBuilder.

• Add multiple filters based on the same layer in the Filter widget
  • For each filter, 'Add a filter expression' based on a category in the data, choose 'Unique' as the choice option
  • For each filter, enable 'Ask for values', fill in 'Prompt' and 'Hint' if desired. Choose a 'List Value' option
  • When the user uses the Filter widget, the results are displayed on the map. If they want to see it in a table, they can open the Attribute Table widget which respects the widget filters. 

Carmel

0 Kudos