How do I add a custom widget to a Web AppBuilder

06-27-2017 02:05 PM
NoahCynkar
New Contributor II

I am looking to add the Layer Toggle widget to my existing AGOL web appbuilder app. I do not have the web appbuilder for developers though. Will I need this in order to add a custom widget to my app? If I do need to download webapp builder for developers, are custom widgets easy to implement? 

I have tried to download and run the developer version but do not understand what to input for the portal.

Do I need knowledge of Java to do this?

This thread is where I am downloading custom widgets that I want to use: https://community.esri.com/thread/119278-roberts-custom-wab-widgets?messageTarget=all&start=25&mode=... 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

YEs you need the developer edition.  Javascript (not Java) knowledge is helpful but not mandatory.

Take a look at /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...‌  to help you find other links and /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2017/02/15/web-appbuilder-tips-and-links-for-creating-modifying-and-modifying-cus...

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Noah,

Please review these links, they will help get you started with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition,

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/web-appbuilder/blog/2017/03/14/getting-started-with... 

Hope this helps,

NoahCynkar
New Contributor II

I downloaded ArcGIS online for developers and was able to configure it to connect to my computer. I was able to successfully add in custom widgets to my online web app. Everything ran smoothly the first day but after restarting my computer the next day, nothing would work. Upon opening the links it says:

This site can’t be reached

(my computer name) refused to connect

I just don't understand why it worked one day and not the other. Is there any extra steps I have to take to open it each day? I did not move any files before or after restarting my computer either.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Noah,

> Upon opening the links it says: This site can’t be reached

Can you please elaborate? Do you mean you cannot start up Web AppBuilder Developer Edition at all? or do you mean, the app opens in a web browser, but it can no longer connect to your portal? And are you connecting to your ArcGIS Online organization or Portal for ArcGIS? or does the app load fine, but when you attempt to execute the custom widget things stop working? If so, which custom widget are you trying to use?

What release of Developer Edition are you using? Can you please provide some screenshots of the error?

NoahCynkar
New Contributor II

Hey Derek,

I think I resolved this issue. For some reason it was inserting .esri.com between my computer name and the port. Deleting this resolved the issue and I was able to connect. I do have one last question that I'm hoping you can answer.

I've been attempting to order the layer list such that there are larger sub-categories that you can click on and expand to reveal more layers. I have about 20 layers but most of them could be combined into 5 main groups that I would like to have the option to toggle on and off. Is there a simple solution to this? I had already attempted to re-group in ArcMap and then upload them in groups but it just removes this formatting. Here is what my layer list looks like:

As an example, I would like the 6 LOS layers to be included in one LOS group.

Here is an example of what I want it to look like:

As you can see, the top subset has three sub-layers.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Noah,

> I've been attempting to order the layer list such that there are larger sub-categories that you can click on and expand to reveal more layers. I have about 20 layers but most of them could be combined into 5 main groups that I would like to have the option to toggle on and off. Is there a simple solution to this?

What you're asking for: the ability to group layers in Web AppBuilder is currently not supported. Please vote for these enhancement requests on the ArcGIS Ideas site:

Group Data Layers in ArcGIS Online Web Map 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/11362 

Hope this helps,