Using New Window 7 and Connecting New Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express to ArcGIS 10.

11-21-2012 08:46 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,
I just have my new  Window 7 and new Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express installed (by our Computer Team) in my PC that is part of Microsoft NT 4 LAN System.  I have no ideas where Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express is installed - I clicked on "Start" of  my PC => Microsoft SQL Server 2012 has (i) Import and Export Data (64-bit) and (ii) Configuration Tools. If I open a mxd Map from ArcMap 10.0 and then click on ArcCatalog 10.0, I see and click on Database Servers: Add Dsatabase Servers, I get the "Add Database Server" dialog box - see the attached file. I have no ideas how to connect my new Microsoft SQL server 2012 Express to the Data Server of ArcGIS 10.0/ArcCatalog 10.0.  Please kindly help and tell me how I can get my new  Microsoft SQL server 2012 Express to the Data Server of ArcGIS 10.0/ArcCatalog 10.0.
Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Scott,

If SQL Server is installed on your server, you will want to specify your server name plus "\sqlexpress".  Ex:

SCOTTCHANG_PC\sqlexpress

However, I don't believe SQL Server 2012 is supported with ArcGIS 10.0 (it is 10.1).  It may work, but you may encounter some problems.
0 Kudos
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi Jake, Thanks for your nice response.
1) Upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 to ArcGIS 10.1:  Last Wednesday, I asked the Computer Team of our organization to install ArcGIS 10.1 for me. They found Software Title: ArcGIS 10.1 SP! (1 licenses).  Is it (ArcGIS 10.1 SP) a right software to install into my PC? I am not sure it is a right software for installing in my PC, because the "SP" after ArcGIS 10.1 makes me skeptical!!?? If it is not a right software, what is the right software of ArcGIS 10.1 for my PC of Window 7 to install?
2) What are the right files of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express downloaded from Microsoft to my PC to work with ArcGIS 10.1?  10 days ago, our Computer Team just installed one file "ENU\x64\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" only in my PC and I saw: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 has (i) Import and Export Data (64-bit), and (ii) Congifuration Tools - SQL Server Configuration Managers, SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting, SQL Server Installation Center (64 bit) in the C:/Microsoft SQL Server 2012 folder - see the attached file.  I think it is not easy to install all the right files of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express in my PC to work with ArcGIS 10.1.  Could you please kindly help me in downloading and installing the right files of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express in my PC to work with ArcGIS 10.1?   
Thanks in advance,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It looks like you have SQL Server 2012 Express installed correctly.

Do you have ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop installed on your machine?  If you do, you can use the new Create Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool in ArcToolbox to create your geodatabase.
0 Kudos
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
Scott,

please read the following Online Documentation topics:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/What_are_database_servers_in_ArcGIS/018t0000000p0000...
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/A_quick_tour_of_setting_up_and_using_database_server...

In order to create and work with a geodatabase in SQL Server Express you must enable the SQL Server Express instance to store geodatabases. This is a separate setup operation detailed here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Enabling_SQL_Server_Express_to_store_geodatabases/01.... With an ArcGIS Desktop Standard or Advanced license you can create a geodatabase that can have up to 3 simultaneous users - you'd choose the setup for 'Desktop'. If you are licensed for ArcGIS Server Workgroup you can create geodatabases that can have up to 10 simultaenous editors - you'd choose the setup for 'Workgroup'.

The Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool that Jake mentioned requires an ArcGIS Server Enterprise license and is not specific to SQL Server Express.

-Shannon
0 Kudos