Updating data in ArcGIS.com

03-30-2012 08:28 AM
HeatherCowley
New Contributor
I have a pretty simple map made from a CSV that contains points that I have uploaded to ArcGIS.com. It is a map of businesses. Lets say there is a new business and I add it to my master CSV file. Is there a way for me to "swap" it out with what is currently uploaded? That way I don't have to redo symbols, pop-up, etc? I've played around with the edit function a little, but that only seems good for editing the database, not adding a new record.

Thanks,
Heather
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HeatherMinogue
New Contributor II
Hi Heather, did you ever figure out how to update the data?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
What you could do is process the data set with the added businesses. Then go into the existing data properties and change the source to be the new revised data set. If you name the datasets somehow to record the date, you have a backup from each change in data and at some time you could plot them to compare changes. This would save you from messing with the legend unless there was a record that required a new symbol.

Also, once you have the symbology the way you like it, you can create a layer file. A layer file contains the symbology as well as the file bath to the data. After you add the revised data to the mxd, you can choose that layer file to symbolize the data you added using the import button on the symbology tab.

Mark
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
This should probably go into the ArcGIS Online section, but unfortunately, if you're loading the data directly into the web map, you're unable to edit the data.  If you don't have many points, you can look into adding them manually, but that of course may not be an option if you're adding a bunch of points or the attribute table contains a lot of information.  Are you on a personal account, or is it an organization?
0 Kudos