Unable to add raster field to feature class?

Jump to solution
03-04-2018 04:23 PM
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

I am unable to add new fields of type 'Raster' to my polygon feature class being used for Data Driven Pages. The option doesn't appear in the drop down list in ArcCatalog. I don't think the two issues are related, as I have tried disabling DDP and am still unable to add raster fields to this feature class, though I can for other feature classes.

What might be causing this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdullahAnter

Do you have other raster field in this feature class? ( please check from properties fields not from attribute table)

You can't have two raster fields in one  feature class.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

according to add field

A field of type raster allows you to have a raster image as an attribute. It is stored within or alongside the geodatabase. This is helpful when a picture is the best way to describe a feature. Precision, scale, and length cannot be set for fields of type raster.

Does that differ from your situation?

JustinOdell

I am trying to add a raster image to describe a feature, yes. I don't understand why I don't have the option to create a raster field on my feature class. I do on other feature classes.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If it is within the geodatabase or alongside the geodatabase (same folder location) and the same file can be added to other polygon featureclasses in the same location. 

Then the only thing to check is to make sure the featureclass isn't being edited or maybe even in a topology or anything that would differentiate it from the other featureclasses.

Other than that, there is nothing else to offer, except try exporting that featureclass to a new copy and try again... or roll up the data and send it to tech support and file a bug report

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As Geoff mentioned, Is it a Geodatabase Feature Class? If it is, then a screenshot of the issue would be helpful.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JustinOdell

No option to select raster field in ArcCatalog

So these are the attributes on my feature class. Unable to create a field of type raster.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Export the featureclass to a new copy.  Try it then

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And as a final note... shapefile don't support raster fields if they are confusing a featureclass with a shapefile

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/appendices/geoprocessing-considerations-for-shapefil...

AbdullahAnter

Do you have other raster field in this feature class? ( please check from properties fields not from attribute table)

You can't have two raster fields in one  feature class.

JustinOdell

Thanks to all who offered suggestions on how to resolve. The problem was in fact what Abdullah suggested, there was another field with raster which was difficult to find because the list of attribute fields in the feature class was very extensive. Removing this field and adding another raster resolved.