Trouble with Geotagged photos to points tool

01-29-2014 09:54 AM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III
I'm trying to help a guy with photos from his Nikon Coolpix P6000 that are supposedly geotagged.  I told him at first I'd just run them through the GeotaggedPhotosToPoints tool in Arc Desktop 10.2, but each time I try this I can only get the very unhelpful Error 999999 and "Failed to execute" 

I set up the tool to take all the files from his directory and put the output FC into a new 10.2 file geodatabase.

Examining the directory I was given, each phot has a jpg, a aux.xml file that seems to contain just some metadata parameters, and an .ovr that seems to be a pyramid file.  I don't see where the coordinates are stored.  I wonder if he hasn't set up his camera correctly to geotag his photos, or is this format not recognized by Arc Desktop.

Update:  Nikon has a photo viewing utility ViewNX2 that shows the coordinates and a map with photo locations for almost all these photos.  I just don't see where these coordinates are stored, and apparently, neither does GeotaggedPhotosToPoints.

Update 2: The Coolpix P6000 pdf manual says files are "DCF, Exif2.2, and DPOF compliant" (p.211) EXIF is supposed to be the format The ArcMap tool is looking for.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
You might try running a few of them through an online exif metadata viewer to see if you can find any information about location. Here's one I just tried with some pictures I took on my phone - http://exif-viewer.com/

Edit - sorry, missed your first update where the Nikon photo Viewer showed your pictures. Maybe you could upload an image or two, along with the associated files in a zip file?
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Interesting, pointing to a folder that contains one of the images works for me. I tried on a machine with 10.1 and 10.2. I attached the tool dialog from my run. All I specified was the input folder and accepted the defaults for the other parameters. If you try the same with the one image, does it work?
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Hey, what do you know?  I put 10.2.1 on this PC, and the Geotagged photos to points tool just ran through all the photos in the directory without error.  I don't know what was going on before. 

I wonder how I might hand this new photo point FC back to the guy so that the paths in the Path item will be correct, maybe relative rather than absolute paths?

Update: I don't have to correct the paths. If you check the box "Add Photos as Attachments" adds the photos to the geodatabase as blob items and relates them to the points. I should read the tool help more often. However, I will have to dumb down the geodatabase back a couple revs so the guy can read use it.

Update 2: Hey, it turns out this was a somewhat known bug in 10.2, perhaps triggered in my case by a non-georeferenced photo in the directory: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/92246-GeoTagged-Photos-To-Points-ERROR-999999-Error-executing-funct...
0 Kudos
AntonioLop
New Contributor II
Lately I´m using ARCGIS 10.2 with a WIN 7 PC.

Yesterday update to ARCGIS 10.2.1, i play Geotagged-photos-to-points-tool and i recive the error 999999.

Usually i´m working with WIN7...but today I probe a PC with XP and ARCGIS 10.2.1 installed.

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡THE GEOTAGGED PHOTOS TO POINTS TOOL¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ WORK FINE..........exporting it to shapefile or GEodatabase.......GREATTTTT

I belive that the problem is when we run arcgis 10.2.1 under WIN 7......I BELIVE is a non find BUG.......TIME To TIME

P.D.---in WIN XP, I´m using the tool with a folder with 250 photos and with non geotagged photos and WORK FINE...IN WIN 7:mad:
0 Kudos