Using 10.3.1 - I am trying to learn how to take data from an Excel file and create a feature class. I have no issue creating a working shapefile, but when I try to convert the shapefile to a feature class (to put in a file geodatabase), the spatial data does not seem to transfer. The attribute table loads properly, but the points no longer show up on the map. I have checked each step of the way to make sure coordinate systems, names, etc. stay consistent. Also, if I have taken a convoluted route to completing this, please let me know. Here are my steps:
1. Excel > Table, via Conversion Tool
2. Right click Table > Display XY Data
3. Set coordinate system to GCS_WGS_1984
4. Points show on map perfectly
5. In Catalog, right-click Table > Create Feature Class> From XY Table
6. Input X,Y fields and change coordinate system to GCS_WGS_1984
7. Shapefile shows on map perfectly
8. In Catalog, right-click on Shapefile > Export to Geodatabase (single)
9. Feature Class created - points no longer show up on map - what am I missing?
I have the same issue when trying to use the Simple Data Loader to add data to existing Feature Class:
1. From Catalog, right-click Feature Class > Load Data
2. Loaded data both ways, from Table created above and from original Excel file
3. Attribute table looks fine
3. Points do not load on map
tip.... when a file ...'doesn't show'.... put it in its own dataframe (arcmap) or map (pro) without any other data, especially basemaps. If it shows, then it is fine, but it may need to have a defined coordinate system if it doesn't behave with other data.
know the rules and only use it sparingly and convert it to a featureclass prior to doing anything else.