transfer table data to feature table

Jump to solution
04-01-2020 02:45 PM
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

I have a table derived from an imported CSV file  containing line feature data i.e START X & Y and END X & Y plus other data associated with each record. When I use the "XY to line " tool the lines are generated correctly however I loose all the ancillary data. I have looked at the options in the tool box and I have not found a good way to copy the additional data fields securely to maintain the data intergrity. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Thankyou for your suggestion, I have used Join Field successfully. I had been steering clear of the Join functions because the user interface is so painfully slow. It takes minutes to move from field to field and I get the message "ARCgis not responding"; and when I eventually get control of the UI this is not before the data entry screen has dissapeared / reappeared several times. Once the join has been started it takes around a minutes for a 1 to 1 with 1030 records and 6 columns being appended. ( Arc Desktop 10.5.1 through Bootcamp OSX - Mojave)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a field in common between the original tabular data and the new linear spatial data field?  If so, you could join the table to the feature class and create a new feature class from the joined data.  Or add empty fields to the new feature class and field calculate these empty fields from the joined table fields and delete the join when you are done.

0 Kudos
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Thankyou for your suggestion, I have used Join Field successfully. I had been steering clear of the Join functions because the user interface is so painfully slow. It takes minutes to move from field to field and I get the message "ARCgis not responding"; and when I eventually get control of the UI this is not before the data entry screen has dissapeared / reappeared several times. Once the join has been started it takes around a minutes for a 1 to 1 with 1030 records and 6 columns being appended. ( Arc Desktop 10.5.1 through Bootcamp OSX - Mojave)

0 Kudos