The AREA and PERIMETER "items" (fields) in an Arc/Info coverages were maintained by the system, right? Could the user overwrite them?

06-22-2021 01:25 PM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

We have zoning snapshots from pre-2000 that were saved as ArcInfo coverages. Because ArcGIS Pro can't read coverages, we are working on a python script to convert them to file geodatabase feature classes and annotation. Quick question: were the AREA and PERIMETER 'items' (fields) in a polygon attribute table maintained by the ArcInfo software, similarly to how ArcGIS maintains the shape_area and shape_length in geodatabases these days? I think the answer was yes, but it would be good to get some confirmation. Also, could ArcInfo users edit the AREA and PERMITER fields? Again, I think I know the answer: No. But please confirm. 

4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I can't confirm (or deny) what you are asking, but if my memory serves me and it's up to a bet, my money is on what you think.  Good ol' ArcInfo  maintained Area & Perimeter but a user could not edit those values.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

My (hazy) memory was that they were in the INFO file, and could be edited, but would be clobbered by the next BUILD or CLEAN.

- V

(Since 4.01/5.0-beta)

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Maybe it was just conventional wisdom to not to edit them. 

@VinceAngelo ; You are stuck on a desert island and you can only have one data structure.  Coverage or Shape File: which do you choose?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Poison starfish (if I can't run PostgreSQL on coconuts with vines and ferrous rocks for cores).

- V