"out of bounds"

03-10-2013 10:23 AM
JanetWright
New Contributor
Editing a line feature class I made a few lines successfully, then with the next line got the error message
"The Create Feature task could not be completed.  The coordinates or measures are out of bounds."
An old forum suggested that I should create a new feature class, set the extent larger, and load the new feature class with features from the old one.  Did this successfully.  "Zoom to layer" shows the extent is what it should be, and extent is listed correctly in the Source info.  However when I go to edit the new feature class and add a new line, I still get the same error message.  What am I missing?  Using ArcGIS 10.1 for home use.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola,

What if you create a new polyline layer, a test layer but when you are asked about the spatial reference system. I would set this to a WGS_1984 or GCS_North_American_1983, this will give you pleanty of area to difitize within. If you are using a projected system, then it may be possibly the incorrect one was selected for your area of the state. Gracias!
0 Kudos
JanetWright
New Contributor
Thanks, Juan, I think I see what you mean.  I suspect in my case the problem had something to do with the layer used for snapping, although I never did figure out what it was.  I deleted the features used for snapping, made a new feature set for that, and tried editing again, and did not get the error message (exiting the program and restarting may have helped too).

Seems like I get arbitrary errors with 10.1 that I didn't get with ArcGIS 10.0, and sometimes just shutting down and starting up again gets around the error.  Not very elegant.  Anyway I like your suggestion about projection and will watch out for that.  Thank you.
0 Kudos