Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem clipping large LIDAR Data file

09-24-2011 07:10 PM
DanielHayhurst
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a 2gb .shp file that contains the point, position & height data, but due to its size i was unable to open it in arc scean, so I tried using the model builder in arc catalog to clip the file, but at about 25% it gave me an error message stating it was out of memory and failed.

I figure i need to break the files up before making it into a shape file, (this file was already prepared but i'm unable to use it as is). I've tried using FUSION and i was able to convert the orignal data into a las file from the CSV .txt file (also 2gb). But fusion still won't let me create a raster or display the information (like i had with a smaller file (~100mb).

Is there a way i can use the arc suite to split the file up, or another peace of software i can try to split my data up into 9 separate smaller files, or more?

Daniel H
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SimonKettle
Regular Contributor
Try opening it in ArcMap and use the clip tool from there...rather than ArcScene or ArcCatalog

You mention a las file...do you use or have access to Petrel?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would consider using the LAS to Multipoint tool to create a multipoint feature class.  Also you may consider specifying only the Bare Earth points to eliminate some of the excess data. The 2 gig limit imposed on shapefiles would not happen and the file maybe handled easier.  Perhaps the CLIP in ArcMap would work easier if it was a Multipoint.  The process you are describing is very memory intensive and I recommend shutting down all other applications prior to running the process.
0 Kudos