PostInstallation Repository Setup AuthenticationMode - Bug?

05-03-2012 03:09 AM
SebastianKrings
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I installed my ArcSDE on a different machine as the ArcGIS Server. On the same machine as the SDE the SQL Server is installed.
Because I did not got the ecp-file to authorize it I installed it without authorizition.
Today I re-ran the psotinstallation just checking the authorization (see attachement #1).
When clicking next the repository setup is also required by postinstallation. I have to define instance name and database name and the authentication mode (and credentials in case of database authentication) (see attachment #2).
When I now klick the back button attachment #1 will be shown as before. Another time clicking next now will show attachment #3 instead of #2. Windowsauthentication is not able any more as I was before.

I am wondering some things:
- why does this happen?
- what happens when chosing something different as in first running of post installation? (will the setting be overwritten?)
- what (authentication mode) is recommended to choose? which user tries to authenticate? (the SOC?)
- when chosing databse-authentication like in #3 "sde" is given as user. Later when creating the SDE Service I have to provide the password for sde user, too. Why do I have to provide the sde credentials twice?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SebastianKrings
Occasional Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14052[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
Try running the post-installer as Administrator (right-click from the Start Menu & choose 'Run as Administrator'). This should allow you to only run the authorization component. Re-running the repository setup will not overwrite anything - it will detect the existance of a geodatabase and move on.

-Shannon
0 Kudos
SebastianKrings
Occasional Contributor
hey thanks for the answer

I knew running postinstall explicity as administrator in ArcGIS Server did not know its also neccessary for SDE (its not that ('explicity') documentated by ESRI.

But what are these credentials for? just to create the repository? after that they are not needed any more? were I able to use any full-admin-like credentials instead of the pre-defined (by installation for sql-authentication) sde user?

Thanks.
0 Kudos