Ordnance Survey Street View Raster Files

10-27-2010 07:07 AM
AndrewHutchinson
New Contributor
Hi

I am trying to use some O/S Street View raster files however when I bring them into ArcMap (9.3 I believe we are using) they don't have any georeferencing and appear all on top of each other (I presume at 0,0). Therefore they don't appear anywhere near the boundry lines!

The raster files are tiles from the O/S Open Data Street View (Raster 1-10,000) therefore I have the TIFF file and seperate georeferencing files as TAB and TFW files.

I have a basic knowledge of how to use ArcMap (having completed the ESRI Introduction to ArcGis course) however due to the infrequency of use I have forgotten how I go about sorting this out - I have tried a number of different things to try and do this but am just getting nowhere fast!

I would appreciate if someone could help me out with this as I am sure it is a simple and straightforward thing to sort!

Thanks
Andrew
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
I just downloaded some data from https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/. Assuming this is the same data, when you extract the contents of the zip folder you download there is a 'data' folder containing:
- 'ns' folder - containing TIF images
- 'georeferencing files' folder - containing a folder of TAB files and a folder of TFW files.

In order for ArcGIS to read the extent information contained in the TFW files, they need to reside next to the source images. Therefore, move the TFW files into the 'ns' folder. Then add the TIF images to ArcMap.

Also, this will help place the images in the correct location. But you will notice if you look at the raster dataset's properties, that there is no spatial reference defined. To apply a spatial reference use the Define Projection tool.
If you want to run this tool on more than one dataset at a time, you may want to Batch it.
0 Kudos
AndrewHutchinson
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply - that is the data from ordnance survey that I was talking about and your instructions were exactly the help that I needed.

Thanks for the prompt and useful help!

Andrew
0 Kudos