NAVTEQ vs TELE ATLAS alternate names

03-04-2011 06:25 AM
KarynBackus
New Contributor
I am well versed in using Tele Atlas street data for geocoding health data.  A new geocoding project I am working on utilizes NAVTEQ street data.  I am having some trouble getting the NAVTEQ data to work for me as well as the TA data, mostly because of the differences in the structure of the data fields. 

Has anyone used alternate names tables with both TA and NAVTEQ?  Tele Atlas provided alternate names as pure aliases which made the development of an alternate names table easy by providing the list of aliases by a join id.  NAVTEQ provides their alternate names along with alternate house numbering suggesting that the alternate names are not aliases but unique street segments utilizing an alternate name. 

To use the NAVTEQ alternate names, I created a composite locator which geocodes against the main NAVTEQ street file and then against the alternate name street file.  My issue remains, however, that the alternate names provided in the NAVTEQ file are limited.  Since we use self-reported addresses for geocoding, a single road may have numerous aliases: 100 Berlin Turnpike, 100 Route 5 / Route 15, 100 N Broad St, perhaps at a point where several roads converge/overlap.

Has anyone developed an alternate/alias name table using NAVTEQ streets data?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies