Mosaic to New Raster gives always RGB in ArcGIS 10

08-16-2010 01:56 AM
JanVotrubec
New Contributor
Hello,
I have two IMG rasters 8bit unsigned, 1 band, discrete. When I do "mosaic to new raster" I always get 3 band RGB, even when I select 1 band (no matter if it is TIFF, ESRI GRID, IMG). Is there any other setting so that I can mosaic 1 band rasters into 1 band raster as it worked in previous 9.3.1 version?
regards,
Jan
0 Kudos
10 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jan,

From your description it sounds like the tool has a problem.  Could you contact Technical Support so we can work with you to get a reproducible case?  For now, try using the Mosaic tool.  Take one IMG as input and set the other as the target. 

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
JanVotrubec
New Contributor
Hi Eric,

I had to switch back to 9.3.1. because I had also other problems with v10 and unfortunately no time for discovering why it does not work or what is implemented in a different way. In future I plan to have v10 in vmware and test it further.

regards,
Jan
0 Kudos
JonathanWeiss
New Contributor
Hi Folks,
I've been trying to get ArcGIS 10 working using WinXP installed as a virtual machine (VMWare) on my Macbook. I can't get any geoprocessing to work at all and keep getting the nebulous 999998 error. I can copy a raster to a different format but i can't generate slope, hillshade, add XY to point, etc. Have you had a similar experience? Do you know of any solutions?
Thanks,
Jonathan
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,
I have two IMG rasters 8bit unsigned, 1 band, discrete. When I do "mosaic to new raster" I always get 3 band RGB, even when I select 1 band (no matter if it is TIFF, ESRI GRID, IMG). Is there any other setting so that I can mosaic 1 band rasters into 1 band raster as it worked in previous 9.3.1 version?
regards,
Jan

I have this exact problem when using mosaic to new raster. Any update to this problem?

thanks,
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Dan,

Please contact Technical Support so we can get a reproducible case.  Have you tried to suggestion by Eric to use the Mosaic tool?

Patrick
0 Kudos
KirstenLuke
New Contributor
I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy.  Any new advice?
0 Kudos
ChrisLeuchtenburg
New Contributor
The recommended Mosaic tool does work and produces a single layer merged raster.  If ESRI Support wants to recreate this problem, I experienced it trying to merge two TIFFS of impervious surfaces data exported from http://gisdata.usgs.gov/website/mrlc/viewer.htm.  The extent was the State of Massachusetts and about a 30-mile buffer of the neighboring states, a large enough area to generate two separate TIFFS.  The Mosaic to New Raster tool produced a 3-layer RGB even though I explicitly selected 1 layer.
0 Kudos
AllysonJason
New Contributor
This just happened to me as well. When I merge the grids I get 4 grids in result. image, imagec1, imagec2 and imagec3. None of them retain the grid nature but attempt to convert the data to bands. The image file acts as if it has 3 bands.

Has this been sorted out yet?

Thanks
0 Kudos
PavanYadav
Esri Contributor
Based on your problem description, it appears that you are experiencing the following bug in ArcGIS 10:

[ NIM066773 Mosaic to New Raster tool gives an incorrect output when the input raster is a single band raster with colormap, only when Colormap Mode selected is  FIRST]

Workaround: Select output location to be a file geodatabase, or use a Mosaic colormap mode other than FIRST. ArcGIS 9.3.1 also gives correct output.
0 Kudos