Mosaic to New Raster Fails

09-30-2010 06:02 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: moliqueesri

I've been trying to run the "Mosaic to New Raster" tool on georeferenced images but it is failing after several hours with an unexpected error. Each time it fails on different images. It has not been consistent. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can work through it? I'm using 9.3.1 sp2
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kellyd

I've been trying to run the "Mosaic to New Raster" tool on georeferenced images but it is failing after several hours with an unexpected error. Each time it fails on different images. It has not been consistent. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can work through it? I'm using 9.3.1 sp2

I am having the same problem.  Did you ever figure it out?

David
MichaelLedwith
New Contributor III
I had the same problem as part of a long python script. The first two "mosaic to new raster" worked but not the third. I got an error complaining about the number of bands not matching. I tried lots of different work-arounds (and confirmed that both inputs were unsigned 8-bit single band grids).

Both of the grids that are input into the mosaic process that crashes are created in the script. However, only one of these rasters gets an attribute table built automatically.

The solution for me was to issue a Build Raster Attribute Table command just prior to the Mosaic command.

There might be a second solution: Change the "Maximum number of unique values to render" under ArcMap Options -> Raster -> Raster Dataset to something much higher. Haven't tested it but this solution used to force RAT creation in AG 9.x.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ledwith

Forgot to add that I also made sure that all inputs are georeferenced (in the same coordinate system, no less) and that there are no existing outputs with the same name as the "new raster" (env.overwriteOutput doesn't seem to work all the time in IDLE).
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jameljoseph

This tool fails for me but for a different reason, it always cuts off the bottom part of my raster.  This tool sucks!
0 Kudos
PatriciaCarbajales-Dale
New Contributor III
I have installed 10.2.1 and I am only mosaicking two rasters to see if it works. It gets stuck at 7% for hours. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
JustinMadron1
New Contributor II

I'm having similar issues with ArcGIS Pro. It seems to work the first time, any attempts after that instantly fail. It is almost like I've used up the memory to re-run the tool. I've tried closing the tool, but have had no luck. Any folks from @esri have a solution?

JustinMadron1
New Contributor II

It also seems to work if I completely close the project and re-open it, then re-run the tool.

0 Kudos