Is it possible to cut an area out (study area) out of a base map (911 street map)? I've tried everything I know how to do. My Google-Fu has failed me!

07-24-2016 03:36 PM
LauraGunnells
New Contributor

Please help! I'm never getting out of college at this rate. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

keyword... clip ... now there is clip, then there is clip, so you need to know your data type in order to choose the right clip tool

Clip—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Clip—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

PaulLantos
New Contributor

You can make a mask in a data frame. Go to data frame properties, specify a mask, specify the layers you want masked. In the data frame properties select the Data Frame tab, under Clip Options select "clip to shape", then click the button to specify the layer you want to serve as the mask.

If you want to specifically block out part of the basemap then you may have to erase part of a mask layer. For instance if you want a basemap that covers the US but not Kansas, you can take a map of the US, select Kansas, make a new layer from Kansas, then use Analysis > Overlay > Erase to remove Kansas from the US layer. Use the resulting layer for the "clip to shape" option. It will block the basemap and whatever other layers you want from showing Kansas.

LauraGunnells
New Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos