Import DWG CAD drawing to ArcGIS

11-21-2013 06:17 AM
ChrisSlinko
New Contributor II
I'm trying to import a CAD .dwg drawing into ArcMap 10.1. When I added the .dwg to ArcMap it did not show any data.  I spoke to an ESRI rep and they said to explode the drawing, purge and resave the drawing to a different drawing.  I did that and it did not work.  Does anyone have any other suggestions.  Thanks, Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
ThomasTorres1
New Contributor II

?Hi, Melissa,

I bring the .dwg file into ArcMap and export it to a .shp file. Still having issues using Carlson to convert to shp.

Thomas

0 Kudos
deleted-user-W5j4Qw2paV6O
New Contributor
Having the CAD file saved to a 2010 AutoCAD format worked fine, came right in to ArcGIS. Does anyone know if there is a patch for this? This is the first time in many years that I haven't been able to bring a dwg into ArcGIS as is. My AutoCAD-using coworkers tell me 2012 and 2014 CAD is problematic. I'm still trying to determine it its a CAD problem or an ArcGIS problem.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Tracy
0 Kudos
JacobMaggard
Occasional Contributor II
just for the heck of it, i just tried loading a cad dwg into arcmap, you might be happy to know i had the same result you did...i dont see anything....and i know there are things in the drawing, alot of things.

There are no objects in the tables ArcMap made for annotation, points, polylines, polygons, multipatch.

at least you know it's not just you. 🙂

sorry i dont have more time to mess with this perplexity right now, i also don't have any Autocad to use where i am right now.

You might look into whether or not you have R/W perms at the location of the .DWG.

I just did the same thing: 

Added .DWG to 10.1 on a shared workstation that we log into with a shared task account.  Nada.

Then, added the same .DWG to 10.0 on my laptop and it worked.

Led me here.

Realized the difference between the two scenarios above is that the task acct does not have R/W (and ArcMap cannot write a lock file).

My acct does have R/W perms for that folder and the CAD shows up fine.

HTH,
Jake
0 Kudos
AncaMIHAILESCU
New Contributor II

Hi,

It is possible that your CAD drawing ( DWG format) have a coordinate system that is different from the web map where you want to insert it, in ArcMap.

You can check this with: Define Projection (data management) and run this tool.

All you have to do is to correlate this 2 coordinate system and then to zoom to the new layer.

0 Kudos
DanielAvila
New Contributor

I got the same problem and I cannot solved the way you exposed.

The better way is turning dwg to shp using a different software, by example GlobbalMapper.

Try it

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Since this thread is four years old, I wonder if Chris Slinko‌ has found a solution to this problem. I would almost think newer versions of ArcMap would have a help in resolving the issue.

https://community.esri.com/groups/cadgis-data-integration?sr=search&searchId=a41a81c4-d669-419d-8127...

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I had the same problem with a 2018 format dwg, saving the dwg down to 2010 format fixed it.

0 Kudos