I am trying to create a line feature from my point data (using the Points to line tool). However, the points to line tool returns an error prompt with only an exclamation point (no error message whatsoever).

Jump to solution
03-21-2018 12:03 AM
Mariano_GregorioDaproza
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a line feature from my point data (using the Points to line tool). However, the points to line tool returns an error prompt with only an exclamation point (no error message whatsoever). I also noticed in the points to line tool, beside "Input Features", there's a red 'X' icon instead of the usual green dot. I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.

Below are screen shots of this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mariano_GregorioDaproza
New Contributor II

After trying all the solutions suggested, I uninstalled/reinstalled my ArcGIS in my machine. It’s now working normally without issues. Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Madanbhurati
New Contributor III

Hi,

Hover your mouse over red "X", there you may find the error description. or if you could share your input point feature class.

Mariano_GregorioDaproza
New Contributor II

I tried hovering my mouse over the red "X", but no error description appears.

I tried opening the "Points to Line" tool in a new (blank) map document (without any data added).  The same red "X" appears beside the "Input Features" text of the tool. 

Furthermore, I discovered the same red "X" appears in the "Add Geometry Attributes" tool. 

Both these tools, "Add Geometry Attributes" and "Points to Line" bears a "Scroll" icon in the ArcToolbox, all the other tools has a "Hammer" icon

All the other tools are fine - with a green dot beside the "Input Features" text.  

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Something similar was reported recently by another user: https://community.esri.com/thread/211473-points-to-line-data-x-symbol-in-red-circle-next-to-input-fe... 

The solution was to run a repair for the ArcGIS Desktop. take a look at the other suggestions as well.

Mariano_GregorioDaproza
New Contributor II

I already ran a repair for my ArcGIS Desktop, but sadly the same issue occurs.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If repair didn't do it, get someone else to login to your machine under a different profile and see if they are having issues.

Barring that reset your application profile

Mariano_GregorioDaproza
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried having someone else login to my machine. It worked, the tool was fixed! But when I logged in again using my account, the tool reappeared with that red “X” again.

I also tried resetting my application profile as instructed in the link you provided, but it didn’t fix the problem.

It seems that my login account is the problem. The issue doesn’t occur when someone else’s account is used to login.

How do I fix this, please help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You followed all the steps in resetting your application profile?

including the link Curtis provided therein https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000009311 ?

You have something lurking somewhere... perhaps you installed a 3rd party application that the other person doesn't have?

Starting a new project and reusing 'copies' of the data?

Barring that,  a 'repair' on the installation might work... but probably not.

Basically... clean up, clean out, and don't repeat what isn't working (ie use new copies of data, new folders, new geodatabases etc etc)

Mariano_GregorioDaproza
New Contributor II

After trying all the solutions suggested, I uninstalled/reinstalled my ArcGIS in my machine. It’s now working normally without issues. Thanks for all your help.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it worked out