How to represent points stacked on top of each other

Jump to solution
08-21-2015 09:14 AM
MichelConn
New Contributor II

I have geocoded some addresses but unfortunately my source only had zip codes available. There are ~20,000 individuals so this means that there are a lot of points stacked on top of each other. This makes it look like there are less points then there are and the map looks unnatural/too uniform.

There are two methods I thought about using to solve this. The first was make dots appear larger the more they are stacked on top of each other. I believe this would mean I would have to find the frequency of each zip code and then geocode only the zip codes. I not a huge fan of this since I haven't used this technique on my other maps.

My second option was use the disperse technique. I got it to work once didn't like the results attempted to change some options but it keeps telling me my layer file does not have representations. Even though I am 100% certain I used the add representations options on the file.

Any thoughts on how to best represent my points or how to get the disperse option working?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
4 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
MichelConn
New Contributor II

For some reason your link is not working for me. But the disperse marker tool is what I was talking about in the third paragraph. I got the tool to work once but as you can see in the original question it keeps giving me errors. Originally I used the options expanded and 2 points for the minimum spacing. But this caused most of my results to expand outside of the geographic coordinates I am interested in.

Perhaps I don't know how to properly add representations.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Try closing arcMap and reopening the only thing i can't seem to get to work is the expanded. If you got it to run once you should have everything set right.

0 Kudos