How to read an INPIRE GML Addresses file ?

07-25-2016 12:37 AM
AnnaMunoz
New Contributor

Hello,

I would like to read with ArcMap 10.1 an INSPIRE GML Addresses file (attached file).

I have Interoperatibilty Extension and I'm using ArcInfo License.

QUESTIONS:

[1] What is the best way to do this without having to import the GML file in a FileGDB ?

[2] This GML file is a file with a complex structure where elements are related to other elements of the same file by using relations (xlink:href). Besides seeing geometry of INPIRE GML (points) I want to see the relationships between the GML elements, is this possible in ArcMap?

Thank you very much in advance !

Anna

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Anna

Data Interoperability 10.3.1 includes an INSPIRE reader which supports the Addresses theme.

You could author an ETL tool that processed the data how you liked then save the tool as a custom format, then each time you touched a .gml file it would be read on the fly the way you need.  That might not be what you want though, as .gml is  a widely used 'container'.

0 Kudos
AnnaMunoz
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick answer Bruce !

I follow your suggestion and I'm using Arcgis for Desktop 10.3.1 (License: Advanced) with Interoperability Extension, but still I can not see the link components of address.

More precisely, I want to see the gml_id contained in xlink:href (see blue box)

Address_component_gml.jpg

But I have tried to acces to this infrmation in arcmap and I only get this one ... 😞

Address_component___xlink_href.jpg

May be I have been doing something wrong.

Could you show me any example how to get this information ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Anna

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Anna

The attached zipfile has a 10.4.1 ETL Tool in it , plus the output data.

Working with INSPIRE data is complex, there are nested elements, the href you are looking for is one - there are several nested elements in the Address theme.

We do have INSPIRE experts in house - I am not one, let me know if you need help extracting what you need.

Regards

0 Kudos
AnnaMunoz
New Contributor

Thanks a lot for your help and your time Bruce !

Unfortunately I can not open the tools in INSPIRE.tbx, the toolbox appears to be empty

In any case, I see you've created a FileGDB.

My last question ... you can not read a GML in arcmap without having to import in a filegdb ?

Many thnks in advance !

Anna

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, you'll need 10.4.1 to read the TBX, and Data Interoperability extension.

You can read GML in ArcMap without conversion, but only simple feature GML, not the INSPIRE profile.

You have to install Data Interoperability extension but you do not need to license it.  GML files will look like feature datasets.

Regards

0 Kudos