How do I clip a raster with a polygon in ArcGIS 10?

05-06-2012 03:30 PM
MarkMcPherson1
New Contributor II
As per the first image Click image for larger version [ATTACH=CONFIG]14125[/ATTACH], I have a raster in which I created an irregular polygon which I want to cut out, but KEEP the rest of the raster.

Using Extract by Mask, it removed everything except for the polygon Click image for larger version [ATTACH=CONFIG]14126[/ATTACH]; however, what I want is the opposite:

I want to KEEP the raster portion, but remove the polygon-shaped portion .

I'm not sure if I used the wrong tool, or what to do from here (note, everything was projected NAD83 UTM 10, so projections should not be an issue).
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mstead

If this is just for display, just use a mask. Right click on your dataframe and select advanced drawing options, go to masking and turn it on, select your polygon layer to mask with and your raster layer to be masked. If you really need the clipped raster you should just create a square polygon of the extent of your raster and then use your existing polygon to erase and hole. The use this polygon to do your clip.
0 Kudos
MarkMcPherson1
New Contributor II
Hi and thanks for replying.  Okay, I got part of it [ATTACH=CONFIG]14128[/ATTACH],  but after I made the square polygon, I don't quite understand exactly what to do (yes, I do want to remove that irregular polygon from the raster).

If this is just for display, just use a mask. Right click on your dataframe and select advanced drawing options, go to masking and turn it on, select your polygon layer to mask with and your raster layer to be masked. If you really need the clipped raster you should just create a square polygon of the extent of your raster and then use your existing polygon to erase and hole. The use this polygon to do your clip.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MrRoboto

Hi and thanks for replying.  Okay, I got part of it [ATTACH=CONFIG]14128[/ATTACH],  but after I made the square polygon, I don't quite understand exactly what to do (yes, I do want to remove that irregular polygon from the raster).

Use the "Erase" tool to remove the irregular portion from the square polygon, then do a extract by mask.
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Mark,

Have you looked at the Clipping an image or raster in ArcGIS blog post yet?  This gives a list of ways to remove inside or outside a polygon/graphic.  Your best bet would be draw a graphic of the area you want to remove, and use Data > Export Data, and select Using Selected Graphics and Clip Inside, or use the Image Analysis Window and select Mask (you will need a graphic for this also).

Patrick
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbswain

Also repeated here.  There are many different ways to accomplish this that have been outlined in the previous forum post and in the blog referenced by Patrick.
0 Kudos