Hi, Is there any tool to join(merge) overlapping points in the same shape? and which maintains the attributes...

01-24-2018 02:38 AM
ViníciusTischer
New Contributor

Is there any tool to join(merge) overlapping points in the same shape? and which maintains the attributes (The points don't have any attribute in common to perform a dissolve for example...(see the figure below, i got a shape with about 3000 points, located in about 1000 geographical locations...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

From the image that you provided I see that two records are selected (presumably at the same location) but the attributes are different. What do you want to preserve in that case? Concatenate text fields? Some statistical function on numerical fields?

Also I noticed that you have Multipoint M values. What output geometry are you looking for? Should they be single points (what to do with the M values if they have any values)? Do you need insights in the number of features and underlying points that were used to generate the new "dissolved" features?

ViníciusTischer
New Contributor

I want to keep the attributes of all points, each point has an attribute of interest. The idea is to create a new layer of points (1 point per x, y) and it contains the columns of each point. It would be similar to Collect Events, however, this tool does not bring the attributes to the new shape. I need to keep the fclass attribute

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Let's make it more visual, since I think you don't understand my question. Your input is like this:

In this case these two records share the same location, and you want to obtain a single record for these. Can you show what you desired result is for the attributes of the single feature that will be created?

0 Kudos
ViníciusTischer
New Contributor

ok. Concatenate text fields would solve may problem. Specifically the "Fclass" field. The result then, could be: "Coletora primáriaArterial secundária" .

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Any idea on how long a field could end up to be? How many overlapping points may there be at a single location and how long is the content of the field that must be concatenated? What to do with the numeric fields, must they be concatenated too into a new text field or what would you do with those?

0 Kudos