General Function Failure exporting a Map Package ArcGIS Desktop 10.5

12-11-2017 07:18 AM
MikeCampagna
New Contributor II

Hello!

I am trying to package a map for an external organization, however every time I attempt to do this I get a non-descriptive "General Function Failure". I am using ArcMap 10.5. I have checked other (older) discussions and am at my wits end with what my issue may be. I have created large map packages before and did not have this issue. Is there a size limit on map packs, and if so what is it? My mxd file is 6 MB.

I have lots of data that is grouped and organized. This include vectors, rasters, geoDB tables, csv's. There are table joins to shape files, would this be an issue? No group names contain special characters, only alphanumeric and spaces. I renamed all my layers to make more sense to the target audience, so also alphanumeric and spaces. Does it matter if layers have symbology category names with an " - " in it? I have tried saving the map package to my desktop, and this has not worked. Both my mxd and my mpk have file names limited to < 10 characters.

Running the "Analyze Package" button determines no errors. I have checked the box for "Include Enterprise Geodatabase data instead of referencing the data".

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you ever built a map package before with table joins to shape files?  I only bring this up because I have mxds with relationships that work between an SDE feature class and a file gdb table, but in the process of publishing the mxd as an AGS mapservice the relationship is not recognized.  In order for the relationship to work in AGS, the feature class and table need to be in the same database.  I know this is not exactly your issue, but I wonder if the same limits exist in the creation of a map package.

MikeCampagna
New Contributor II

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I have not done this before with packaging a map, and was unaware of this limitation in AGS. My latest iteration of exporting the map package has (fingers crossed) worked. It is now compressing, which is further than I have got before. If the compression works than that means it is possible to include joins between an SDE feature class and a file gbd table (at least I think).

Unfortunately, I cannot say which solution in particular worked. My latest attempt included saving to my desktop (instead of our network drive), shortening the original mxd name, and removing " - " and "\" from symbology names.

Again, thank you for the help.

Best,

Mike

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Mike:

Does saving to your desktop make this a more difficult process and create duplication?  I ask because I'm thinking that the removal of "-" and "\" resolved your problem and you probably could have left the mxd in its original location on your network drive.

0 Kudos
MikeCampagna
New Contributor II

The map package was a whopping 25 GB, but when I went to unpack it I received a "One or More Layers not Supported" error message. Darn. This sounds like the same error you would receive say when the SDE feature class joined to file gbd table is not supported in AGS? As you initially postulated?

It created duplication in the sense that now I have to copy the resulting map package onto our network drive, while keeping my copy on my desktop just in case something breaks. I am re-creating the mpk now and received an error after 10 seconds when trying to export to the network drive, but had success when exporting to my C drive.

After reviewing my mxd it looks like I missed a group of layers that includes " - ", "><" and "()" to symbology group names. I fixed this and am re-exporting now while I determine how to fix the joins. These were not layer or group names, so I am not convinced this is my issue as they would not necessarily be included in any file paths?

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos