Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT][STATE_ID = 251] Underlying DBMS error [HY000:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Unspecified error occurred on SQL Server.

4667
4
Jump to solution
07-11-2017 08:08 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I am getting this error when  trying to compress one of my geodatabases. I have about 5 different geodatabase schemas all existing in the same server MSSQL Server 2012 database on Windows 2012 Server, I  am able  to reconcile, post, compress and analyze all the other 4 geodatabases successfully without issues but each time I run both my model or script on this particular geodatabase I keep getting the error saying.

"Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT][STATE_ID = 251]
Underlying DBMS error [HY000:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Unspecified error occurred on SQL Server. Connection may have been terminated by the server.] [sde.DEFAULT]"

I am able to reconcile and post new versions to the default version of this geodatabase  but cannot go beyond that, when it gets to the compression stage, it errors out and displays the error message above.

I came across some of the recommendations given on this forum and I have tried them all such as running a check on the database schema using the DBCC Check database tool and it ran successfully without error, which confirms the Geodatabase is OK and eliminates possible issue from that end.

I have also uninstalled my existing MSSQL Native client and replaced it with a new MSSQL Native Client version 11.3.6538.0 (64bit) and I'm still getting the same error.

Please does anyone have new ideas on what else I can do to resolve this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you rebuild all the spatial indexes on the geodatabase in question and re-compress?

Rebuild Indexes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you rebuild all the spatial indexes on the geodatabase in question and re-compress?

Rebuild Indexes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor III

Sure, I will do that once my users are off the server and see if it would help!

Thanks and I will get back to you on the outcome

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Thank you very much George! Your advise did work. I rebuilt the geodatabase indexes and  then ran my python script which is supposed to reconcile and post versions to QA/QC and then to default SDE, after which it will proceed to compress, rebuild and analyzed the dataset.

Everything worked out perfectly well.

See result below

Python 2.7.10 (default, May 23 2015, 09:40:32) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> ================================ RESTART ================================
>>>
Process Started at 07-11-2017 01:18:25 PM
Reconcile/post versions to QAQC....
Reconcile/post QAQC to DEFAULT...
Compressing database...
rebuilding indexes
Rebuild Complete
analyzing datasets
analysis complete
Set databases to allow connections...
>>>

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esri Frequent Contributor

Glad it worked!

--- George T.
Reply
0 Kudos