Failed to connect to the specified server.

09-10-2010 12:22 AM
DanCamboia
New Contributor
Using direct connect with ArcGIS 9.3.1 and Oracle10g I'm getting an error stating my Server library could not be loaded. See attached word document. The connection using sqlplus works just not though ArcGIS.

Any help appreciated.

Dan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Windows generates a "file not found message" when a DLL search returns the wrong bit-size
library.  Is your Oracle 64-bit?  If so, you'll need a 32-bit install for ArcGIS.  If 32-bit is installed,
does it come *before* 64-bit in the PATH variable? Make sure you've got SP2 installed, or you
may run into an issue with 32-bit and 64-bit connections on the same server.

Those of us without Word on our home PCs would be able to see a JPEG or PNG attachment.

- V
0 Kudos
DanCamboia
New Contributor
Sorry about the file type. I've attached a jpg version.

Yes the Server is Oracle64-bit on a Windows Server 2003 box. ArcGIS 9.3.1 and the Oracle 10.0.2client are installed on a 32-bit vista box. I have 20+ setups with the same configuration with no problems untill this happened. This just started happening to one PC the other day after running 24/7with no problems for 10 months.

I think I might just have a corrupt OCI.dll file on the PC. I would like to just re-register the dll, but it looks like I'll have to do a complete re-install of ArcGIS.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If your Oracle client is corrupted, an ArcGIS re-install won't address the issue.
Try re-installing Oracle first.

- V
0 Kudos
DanCamboia
New Contributor
Reinstalling the Oracle Client worked.

Thanks for the 5 minute fix V.

Dan
0 Kudos