I am using Desktop 10.6.1 When using an ESRI basemap, my point layer disappears when I zoom in beyond 1:4000.
After much trial and error, I discovered that the point layer stays visible as long as I do not have any online basemap active.
If I turn off the basemap layer (I was just using the imagery layer, no reference), the point is still there underneath.
For some reason, at <1:4,000 scale, the basemap jumps on top of my point layer. Even with only one layer in the map, and one base layer underneath it in the table of contents window, the basemap buries my layer at < 1:4,000 scale.
Anybody have this issue? I am really stuck.
Out of curiosity, have you tried this in ArcGIS Pro?
Also, do other basemaps behave the same way?
And, does your feature class have Z values enabled? If you disabled those Z values, does the layer still show up underneath?
I do have z-values in both the feature classes, they are part of a set of points taken to register floodplain elevations. I can try exporting the feature classes and disabling the z-values.
As to ArcGIS Pro, this is a new machine and I have only just gotten ArcMap installed, ArcPro is on deck once I get ArcMap behaving.
I was simultaneously having the 'ArcMap crashes when loading basemaps' problem, and (knock on wood) I seem to have fixed both problems by disabling hardware acceleration. I can zoom to 1:1000 and still see the points on top of the basemap. However I also created new, clean files and a new, clean map. I haven't pushed my luck opening the map from yesterday yet.
I will probably try to roll back my GPU driver because I think it may have started with an update last week, if the problem is actually the hardware acceleration. I am a bit nervous about ArcPro if ArcMap is giving me a hard time.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I will have to think on that one--I haven't quite solved the crashing issue, it seems to mostly happen when I try to select by clicking a single point feature rather than drawing a box around it. I have been able to avoid doing that.
The one particular file that was disappearing was a point file of three sets of points that I'd merged--a set from my trimble, a set digitized in arcmap, and a set imported from geotagged photos. It seems arcmap didn't like the geotagged points, and once I projected them and built a new clean map all in the same UTM 48N projection, I created that combination shapefile and all was happy.
The geotagged photo points that I have in a geodatabase, (which is the exact set of points but with the relate to the photos to enable pop-ups) will not play nice with others. I haven't been able to successfully project/define projection, or even import that into a new geodatabase with the correct UTM projection. Most of the time if I want to enable the pop-ups (which I am using as references for my field data attributes), I have to turn off the other shapefile made from the same data. Or else it still crashes. In general it's just that one feature class that is problematic, and I've transposed all my observations so I just removed that file from the map.
I know that's a convoluted explanation, trust me, it was even more convoluted before I figured out what was happening!