Editing vertices. Units of measure

09-23-2014 05:07 PM
ChristineFairbairn
New Contributor

Basic question but.. when I am editing mode and select the 'Edit Vertices' then the single vertex tool, and then try to move ONE selected vertex, the entire polygon moves. (even though only one vertex is selected). How can I prevent this and jus move the selected vertex only?

Also, (another derrrr q'n), what is the easiest way to determine the unit of measure used in a field within an attribute table? How do I tell if the area is in acres/ hectares etc when no unit is visible in the field title or the field dialog box?

Thanks, cf_aussie

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you check that the whole polygon's vertices aren't also selected prior to the move? 
As per the units, the units are always in the units of the data, unless they have been calculated by someone else who may have specified a different coordinate system (see the field ... calculate geometry options)

0 Kudos
ChristineFairbairn
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. Yes I did check the other vertices were not selected - they were 'green' but did not have the 4 cornered square. Is that correct?

re the units 'being in the units of data' do you mean check the meta data in ArcCatalog?

Cheers

0 Kudos