DWG and DXF import in Arcgis 10.4

05-04-2018 04:14 AM
OskarErdödy
New Contributor III

Hi, this is a question I should have asked a long time ago.

In Arcgis 10.4 the DWG/DXF Import with "Add Data" does not create the same results als in 10.1 (or 10.0).

The blocks/inserts are not graphically converted, only as points. On the other hand, every Block gets its own point-feature, which can lead to several thousand features in a huge group, and therefore to a very long insertion time.

The "Cad To Database" tool has the same problem, takes significantly more time and additionally often generates "Error 00354: The name contains invalid characters".

For larger drawings (for instance, plants in engineering are mostly made of inserts), I have to explode those blocks (and nested inserts), which can take a very long time, losing block informations like Layer, Block name, Attributes.

Am I missing something ? How could I import Dwg/Dxf like with the old (not perfect, but more usable) mode ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OskarErdödy
New Contributor III

Hm, no answer so far, is my question that dumb or doesn't anybody load AutoCad-Drawings ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

probably the latter... conversion to featureclass within a geodatabase seems to be the focus

0 Kudos