Display XY Data Function

01-23-2017 08:33 AM
AlexSadurski
New Contributor

Hi All,

I am currently using ArcMap 10.2.

I have a data layer which is displayed using the "Display XY Data" function. It is connected to an excel spreadsheet (not exported) to make sure that any data that is added is updated to the map.

I added a few new points to the excel sheet which are to be plotted on the map, which are in the same format as the previous points, however when I reopen the map, the NEW data points do not plot and don't seem to show up even when using the Zoom To function. All the while, the old data points are still plotting no problem. 

I have tried to redisplay the XY data by creating a new event, however the same still happens; the original points are plotting, but the new points are non-existent it seems. 

Does anyone have any advice on this issue? 

Thank you,

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

How do you add new points to the excel sheet, while you display XY data?

if you try to open excel sheet while you display XY data, it will be opened for reading only. you can't edit any thing or you will be forced to save in other location.

0 Kudos
AlexSadurski
New Contributor

The map was not open when I was editing the data. The data is present in the attribute tables of the layers, just not displaying properly

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Did you make categories symbology?

Did you make definition query?

Do you sure that you add numbers without any space or text characters in excel sheet?

0 Kudos
AlexSadurski
New Contributor

Yes, Yes, Yes. However, I have attempted to remake the layer on several occasions without any symbololgy or queries and the problem still persists. 

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I can't seem to reproduce your issue using the following:

1.) Add XY data, using Excel sheet as source to make an event layer (42 points).

2.) Save and close the mxd.

3.) Add 3 new points to Excel (45 points).

4.) Save and close Excel.

5.) Open mxd. There's now 45 points.

In your event layer, try clicking "Reload Cache" under the attribute table options.

I'll add that event layers are quite mysterious to me. The only thing I ever do with them is immediately export to a permanent feature class.

AlexSadurski
New Contributor

I've talked with the GIS people at work and they can't seem to figure it out either. The points seem to be plotting somewhere, just not on the map like i want them to be. To me it seems like these new points are using a different coordinate system than they should be. 

I'll try reloading the cache.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Any chance of posting the data--or at least one "good" row and one "bad" row? I would expect that there's something in the new rows--a leading space in a field, a control character, something.

Melita

0 Kudos
AlexSadurski
New Contributor

Hi Melita!

I did some digging, and it turns out the points are actually displaying just fine on the map if I actually search the coordinates, but for some reason, when i use the "Zoom to" function it takes me to the completely wrong place on the map, sometimes not on the map at all. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm, somehow the extent is screwed up. Maybe an empty row or a row with bad values?

0 Kudos