Disable Shape / Make 'Un-clickable'?

09-15-2016 12:38 PM
CarlosLeon
New Contributor II

First of all, I'm quite new to ArcGIS.  I'm using Ver. 10.1  Hopefully this isn't one of those annoying "newb" questions.

I'm placing a border and creating a template for a bunch of recurring exhibits.  I need the border to be in the front, yet I don't want it to get in the way of creating and editing the exhibit by being the first thing to be recognized by a click.  Is there a way, short of placing individuals lines as the border, to make this shape temporarily un-clickable?newbie‌ arcgis basics‌ newuser‌

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you mean 'selectable' like preventing people to select them would be my guess
Check the layer properties... Setting layer properties—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

and the table of contents options
Using the table of contents—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

CarlosLeon
New Contributor II

Yes, selectable.  The vernacular escapes me at times.

Are you suggesting that I place the border/shape into it's own layer...and then simply make sure the layer is not selectable?

Sounds like a good idea!  But I'm wondering if there's a manner in which to do this individually to a shape without having to create a new layer just for one shape.?  If not, I'll give the above idea a try and see how it works out.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes.. I know what you want, but it is all or none when it comes to layers.  You can't ascribe properties to individual shapes