Desktop 10.2.x can't use Rasterdata in SDE 10.1

06-05-2014 06:41 AM
M_Trauffer
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

i can't see any rasterdata from our SDE 10.1 and 9.3.1 geodatabases in Desktop 10.2.x using an SDE service connection. "Direct Connect" is working as well as Desktop 10.1 (direct and Application-Server connection). The Preview-Window in ArcCatalog 10.2.1 just shows "Your selection cannot be displayed in the current view." and adding any raster from SDE to ArcMap gives "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer."... which is not very helpful.
According to http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//003n00000008000000 the Geodatabase should be compatible, even with an Application-Server-Connection.
Is this a bug? has anyone else had similar issues? what can be done about that?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Yes, that is a known issue:

[NIM098462 - When trying to preview an SDE raster in ArcCatalog via an application server connection, the following error message is received, "Your selection cannot be displayed in the current view."]

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDk4NDYy

[#NIM090332 Creating a Raster Dataset from ArcCatalog 10.1/10.2 results a Network I/O error (999999) when using an ArcSDE 3-tier (application server) connection. ]

This is fixed at 10.3.
0 Kudos
M_Trauffer
New Contributor
Thanks for your explanation, but it seems to me that the bug description for NIM098462 isn't quite accurate. Obviously SDE on Oracle is affected as well and if it was only the preview in ArcCatalog I could live with that. I just can't use any raster in ArcGIS 10.2 via an application server connection to SDE 10.1. I didn't even try to create one;-)
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Yes, the issue occurs for existing Rasters and is applicable for all DBMSs.

Considering the "Application Server connections and the SDE Command line tools" are going to be deprecated in the next Major release, have you considered migrating everything to Direct Connection?
0 Kudos