Data source error layer file- setting data source doesn't solve the problem

05-02-2014 02:02 AM
AnnikaVollebregt
New Contributor
Hello,
I am working with arcmap - concurrent user. I am currently trying to load a layer file into arcmap, but I constantly get a data source error. Setting data source by Data: Repair Data Source doesn't solve the problem. I get the files from a drive from my university via a VPN connection. I already tried to copy the files from the university drive to my computer, I thought that loading from a local drive would maybe solve this problem, but I still get the same error.
Somebody familiar with this error and knows how to solve it?
Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
I had a similar problem, and had to simplify the path to the file source before it would work.
It may also be related to whether or not you have the map document set to relative paths.
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
AnnikaVollebregt
New Contributor
hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply!
I have set the map document to store relative paths, but this didn't solve the problem, unfortunately..
Simplifying the path to the file source, what do you exactly mean by that? How should I do that?
Save the layer files on another drive or in another folder, and then try open it again, you mean?
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
basically I had a map location and data files that were up the directory tree 4 levels, and then down a new directory path 4 levels. I could work with a map initially, but on opening, the paths were all broken, and I would have to reset. I moved my files into the same location as the map, and my problems went away.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
AnnikaVollebregt
New Contributor
Hello Jim,
Thank you very much! I managed to solve the problem, thanks to your help!
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Good news! What was your solution? It is helpful to show that in the forum, so if anyone else runs into a similar issue, perhaps your solution will help them.
Best Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
AnnikaVollebregt
New Contributor
I simplified the data source, as you suggested and it turned out to be the solution 🙂
0 Kudos