Data frames and annotation layers

Jump to solution
05-17-2017 02:43 PM
DavidBrown5
New Contributor

Good afternoon.

I just upgraded to 10.5.

In my previous versions, I created data frames, drew on them, and annotated them with text and callouts.

With 10.5 it seems it's done differently now.

I see my old data frame names listed under the annotation targets but not under view->data frame properties.

Also I cannot cause those previous annotated data frames appear.

Using the new method insert -> data frame, it doesn't appear it's possible to use the drawing and text tool with the new data frame layer or to make it transparent in layout view under properties (even though it's an option given).

I'm fine with using annotation layers but it doesn't appear that it's possible to turn annotated annotation layers on and off (visibility).

Looking for advise on how to proceed here.

I have maps with symbols from data points, some of the symbols need special callout-type annotation that can be turned on and off.

Also is it possible to get my old annotated data frames to appear?

regards, David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not aware of any functionality that has been remove in the 10.X versions.  What version did you upgrade from and are these old projects with the same extensions and toolbars loaded?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not aware of any functionality that has been remove in the 10.X versions.  What version did you upgrade from and are these old projects with the same extensions and toolbars loaded?

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

To follow-up on Dan's questions, how many MXDs is this affecting, all of them or just one or two?  If you create a similar MXD from scratch in 10.5, do you still see the issue?

DavidBrown5
New Contributor

Good afternoon.

I performed a fresh install of 10.5 after a reimage.  I had 10.3 before so I had to redo the toolbars.  The thing is I can see they've changed the data frame if not functionality at least the way it's done.  

Rather than troubleshoot the old functionality let me just ask...  what is the best way to create a toggle-able transparent layer and annotate it?  

I have mapped points on a map and want to draw a text box and an arrow directed at respective points but the annotations need to be able to be turned on and off and able make multiple layers of this type.

I don't need details but if you can tell me for example - use a data frame and add annotation on it, or create an annotation layer and annotate it (but where is the annotation layer, I see all my old data frames under drawing->active annotation targets but how do i turn visibility of those on and off).

regards, David

0 Kudos
DavidBrown5
New Contributor

Okay I am good.  I found everything and still using data frames.  The insert->data frame threw me off.  I am using annotation groups under Data Frame properties.  This is working well.  Thank you for the responses.

0 Kudos