Coordinate system for Zip only (no address)

06-18-2013 08:35 AM
JosephBaker
New Contributor
Hi all,
I have a dataset with only zip codes.  I'm trying to geocode but cannot find a coordinate system that will allow me to match to a zip code-level.

I see Tom Tom has something, not sure if it's a coordinate system, allowing users to do this, but I do not have access to those files (see attached screen shot).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25339[/ATTACH]

Can anyone recommend a solution to geocoding to zip-only level and allowing me to match?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi all,
I have a dataset with only zip codes.  I'm trying to geocode but cannot find a coordinate system that will allow me to match to a zip code-level.

I see Tom Tom has something, not sure if it's a coordinate system, allowing users to do this, but I do not have access to those files (see attached screen shot).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25339[/ATTACH]

Can anyone recommend a solution to geocoding to zip-only level and allowing me to match?

Thanks

I see this is your first post, so if I may...  This dataset of zip codes; is it a polygon or point feature class/shapefile or is it a list of zip codes?

At a very elementary level, the process of geocoding is a method of translation by which we translate a string of text (typically an address) that we humans understand into a pair of x,y coordinates the GIS understands.  That way we can visualize the location of our address on a map.

You really don't geocode against a coordinate system.  You geocode or match against a spatial data feature class.  The coordinate system is embedded within your spatial data feature class.

I'm just guessing here, but I think what you have is a list of zip-codes and you would like to map them out.  Consequently, you'll need to find either a polygon feature class or point feature class of zip codes to match your list against.  You may want to start here to get an idea of what is ahead of you.  I'm not sure if the ESRI data cd has zip code information or not.  You might google or bing or whatever the term 'zip code ploygons.  I just did and found a good hit here.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JosephBaker
New Contributor
Thanks much, Joe.
I have a shape file for zip codes (Tiger shapfiles), so do I need to add that as a layer on my map first?  I was tasked with geocoding this excel list of zip codes (I suppose, basically getting X,Y coordinates and mapping out).  I tried geocoding to the .pri coordinate file within the Tiger shapefile but got no matches.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Thanks much, Joe.
I have a shape file for zip codes (Tiger shapfiles), so do I need to add that as a layer on my map first?  I was tasked with geocoding this excel list of zip codes (I suppose, basically getting X,Y coordinates and mapping out).  I tried geocoding to the .pri coordinate file within the Tiger shapefile but got no matches.

You need to create a locator using your Tiger data.  Refer to the links provided above and see if you can figure it out.  You'll get more out of it doing it that way.  I could give you all the answers but where is the fun in that?
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JosephBaker
New Contributor
Thanks for the advice.  Learned how to create an address locator and thereby geocode correctly.  Much appreciated.
0 Kudos