Control of Overviews for Mosaic Dataset

07-08-2013 11:10 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
To All Mosaic Dataset Users:

I created a raster mosaic dataset from multiple jpeg2000 (.jp2) images.  By default without overviews, the images do not show up at full scale.  I then use the Build Overviews tool from the properties of the mosaic dataset and it generates overviews in a folder that is equivalent to the level of the file geodatabase where the mosaic dataset is stored.  The overviews are composed of tifs, tfws (world files) and 2 other types .xml and .msk.

I have a few questions about the Overview generation process.
1.) Do I have any control over where the overview folder will be created as it was generated in the above location without my input?

2.) Can I create overviews in a different format than tif?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

The Define Overviews give you full control on everything you need.
After you define the Build Overviews will use what ever you defined.

Have Fun
Mody
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Mody:

I defined my overviews and configured the overviews to be created in the same file geodatabase where the mosaic dataset is stored.  Then I built the overviews, but I can not see the overview files that should have been created in the file geodatabase.

Do you know what I need to do to see the actual overview files that were created in the file geodatabase?
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
The default location is inside the geodatabase �?? it creates a directory with the <fgdb name>.Overviews but this is hidden when you use desktop.
I always create an OV directory together with the original tiles and not save it in the fgdb.
It keeps the fgdb easier to move and it put the overview rasters together with the original data (where they can be backup together).
Then you can see then just like any other raster.

Mody
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Mody:

The creation of the overviews is working opposite of what you are stating, by default.  If I go with the default values for defining overviews, ArcCatalog creates the overviews in a folder at the same folder level as the file geodatabase where the mosaic dataset is stored.  I need to change this setting to save the overviews into the file geodatabase itself.

Also, when I create the overviews in the file geodatabase, I do not see a directory with the <fgdb name>.overviews in Windows Explorer.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
For file based mosaic datasets, the default location is in a folder where the geodatabase is located.  The location for SDE mosaic datasets defaults to inside the database.  You must use the Define Overviews to alter this location.  There are settings for the compression, resampling method and compression quality that can be altered within that tool, but the overviews are always tifs.
0 Kudos