can you convert a layer file (aerial) into a raster file?

08-25-2016 07:22 AM
PenelopeWebster
New Contributor

layer file convert/save as raster file?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

Aerial layer created from raster data by processing them.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=483b230c56a44c33beb13f9b9ab9f88d 

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Can you elaborate on what you mean by a "layer file"?  The word "layer" has several different uses in GIS, so knowing which type it is will help in providing a solution.

• Is it a .lyr file?
  • Is it a feature class in the Table of Contents (a vector layer)
  • Is it an aerial in the Table of Contents ( a raster layer)
  • Is it something else?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
PenelopeWebster
New Contributor

a .lyr file

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you want to retain the current symbology used in the layer file when making the image, here's an option that will work:

1. Display just the layer file in ArcMap in Data View. 
  2. From the main menu at the top, File, Export Map. 
  3. In the "Export Map Window that shows up (see below), be sure to open up the Options (click on small triangle).  Look at the various settings and decide which to use.  If you want the image to line up with other data, be sure to check the "Write World File" checkbox.  Note - one drawback of this method is that the background color will be retained instead of becoming "No Data". 

Alternatively, if you want an image of the layer file but are not concerned about how it looks, another option is to use the various Conversion Toolbox tools:  Polygon to Raster, Polyline to Raster, and Point to Raster.  However, these require either Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst extensions, or an Advanced ArcGIS license.  This is a more elegant solution, but the current symbology will be lost.

Chris Donohue, GISP

PenelopeWebster
New Contributor

I am using trial version of Arc gis pro

I cannot see File, Export Map

I have now lost files that were listed in contents.

how do I get back in contents?

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I don't have ArcGIS Pro myself to verify this, but it appears from the ESRI Help that there is an export function.  In the linked information (see below), scroll down to the Section "Share a map or layout as an image format (BMP,JPEG,PNG,TIFF,TGA,GIF)" and give that a try.

Export a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos